Solved! Go to solution

Bend/fold lines length

Hi,

When ever we create a flat pattern of a .psm it generates the bend line on the dwg/dxf. But it generates bend/fold lines the whole length of the part. Is there a way to shorten these lines by default?We have to open the dwg aftewards to trim them.

Thanks!

ST9
Conveyor and industrial equipment designer.
Giving SE a chance.
17 REPLIES

Betreff: Bend/fold lines length

Hi,

the bend lines have a different line style, and are located on a separate layer.

Is this diffence enough for selected the appropriate geometry?

I never had any problem with the bend lines as the were since the beginning.

Do You create the flat pattern DXF from 3D model or form draft?

regards
Wolfgang

We don't have a problem with the bend lines , just the length. We create the dxf from the 3d model.
ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Bend lines should extend to the exyents of the material at the bend location.  Are you saying that your DXF files are showing them longer than the material extent?  Perhaps a picture might help.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

By default they do extend the whole lentgh of the part, but that also means that the laser will engrave the whole line, wich will cost more $. That's why we want the fold lines to be just 2 small marks at each end of the folds line about 1" in length.

ST9
Giving SE a chance.

@Pedneault75,

Bending information is typically used for just that....for etching, for which there is a seperate function, and unfortunately for you, additional work to add it to the model. We currently add this, when required, to the flat pattern of the PSM model.

Sort of like how "Index Lines" work, when making lofted flanges. That would be a useful additional option to have for "selected" bends....as they get translated to the DXF output.

Capture_05102016_0826.PNG

I have had this called for also, but it can't be done on all parts, say, that have bends UP & DOWN, and also have one face mirror finished....laser etching would damage the face.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Yes, we noticed that the options was available for lofted flanges. Sadly it doesn't seem to be available for simple bent .psm. We will just continue to edit it manually, which is not that big of a deal, it's just that some times we forget. And we receive a plate with a 5 ft bend lines engraved for absolutely nothing.It's about 25 cents per inch of engraving.
Nice to know we're not alone.
ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Got it.  $0.25/inch seems expensive for etching with a laser...

Definetly get a change requests in for this via GTAC or your VAR.  Also, any chance you are going to Solid Edge University?  Sheet metal round table meeting is calling your name Smiley Happy

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

The cost is a mixture of power consumed, life of the machine, support of operator time, etc. and a built in factor for scrapped parts. Even with all that, seams a bit high.

My guess is that's the cost to cut the thickest part. A cut and etch are priced the same.

My place is still using a punch and plazma. Eventually we will get a laser. One of the reasons I have to make bend tables for every part that include back gage. No effective way to mark the bend lines without creating a potential cracking problem for sealing sheet metal tanks.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pedneault75
‎10-07-2016 09:57 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't know direct solution, but there is workaround. You have to define a "unique line style" in your drawing template. After this you can change line style for this special.

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/