Solved! Go to solution

Bend radius = thickness sheet (automatic link)

Hi guys,
can anyone help me about set the bend radius equal to the thickness of the sheet metal (in automatic)?
I mean: after drawing a sketch (for example two line orthogonal), I select the "Countor flange" command, choose the thickness of the sheet and the final result that I'd like obtain is to have the same value for internal bend radius (= thickness of sheet)
Thank you in advance,

11 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author UtAgr
‎06-30-2017 07:38 AM

Betreff: Bend radius = thickness sheet (automatic link)

Hi @UtAgr

I think this might be an easy job.

The easiest method I see here is, to simply set the bend radius to the sheet thicknees using a formular.

20170630_0950.PNG

Do this in Your template and all new PSM files automatically will follow that rule!

regards
Wolfgang

Thanks for the help.

It's little things like this that should be the default setting out of the box. I'm sure it used to be pre ST.

Very good, thanks!

HI @redcad

OutOfTheBox?

I don't think that this would be in the sense of the most users.

Most production environments use standard bend radius in their machines for a range of sheet thickness.

If it is YOur common behaviour to have radius equal thickness, then it is no problem to set it like mentioned before.

But to force SE users to have so, no, this is not in my prefrences

regards
Wolfgang

The best method to control bend radius is to use the gage table in excel.

The other advantage of the gage table is display of the gage name in the parts list.

Attached is my current gage table as an example. My bend radii have been dialed in for our tooling and materials.

@12GAGE

I already have the gage name in the parts list. I have the material column combined with the gage name column, and I don't use a gage table.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Hi @12GAGE

as already mentioned by @nominus38 You have the material gage info available as long as You have one in use. Wether You are using the gagetable.xls or not.

But - sine You are using the XLS for a longer time - how is the performance so far?

I remember, that You mentioned an extreme bad one a time ago.

regards
Wolfgang

As stated, defaulting a bend radius to a material thickness wont be appreciated to any manufacturer building your parts. Maybe you already know this but bending radii are determined by the tooling used, and the majority of tooling either inch or metric uses standard radius sizes. 1, 2, 3mm and 1/16, 3/32, 1/8", 3/16" etc..

As far as a gauge table, I haven't used it in the 10+ years of using SE. I may have 2-3 different materials basically copied to select from, each with a different bend radius. Mainly I use them If I have a part that has all bends using larger than "standard" radius. Otherwise if I have a part with 4-5 normal bends and one special, I'll simply change it in the flange options of that particular bend. And yes, both material & gauge thickness are available for tables regardless of source of their info.

[ Edited ]

In ST8, the performance was bad. They really fixed that up in ST9. Instead of 15 seconds to open the gage menu, its now only about 2 seconds. In both cases, the performance is directly proportional to the number of entires in the gage table. It's still the slowest responding command of all that I use in SE. And one of my commonly used ones. All my files are set up to have the gages edited.

I just still wish there was a way to edit the game of more than one part at a time within an assembly. That would save me so much work.

Most files I recieve from other have the bend radius = to the sheet thickness. In reality with our tooling and materials we typically run R = 1.5 Thickness. This does create many problems with close corners, flat pattern cuts, etc. 

The largest problem I have with gage changes is that a mixture of changing gage and flanges w/ close coners, I frequently have the normals flipping on the flat patterns. The create havock with my bend pattern drafting and calulations that are downstream of the flat patterns.