Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Operating System

Creator
Creator

Can someone tell me the best operating system that Solid Edge runs on with having much if any trouble like crashing when you select an assembly.

Which is what mine just started doing again.

11 REPLIES

Re: Best Operating System

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Ahweh,

For me, Windows 10 Pro works perfectly......but something you have to remember, or allow for, is that it takes more than just the "OS" to make stability, in any 3D mechanical CAD system....and a general expectation [speaking for the program writers] for the "USER" to already be fairly adept at using a comuter.

There needs to be a good balance of system resources [CPU, Ram, Graphics, Storage] of reasonably high spec, and then all of the software [including user installs] & relevant drivers have to be compatible with each other. All this also needs to be supported by some logical thinking, and a bit of forward planning, in regards to file management. [naming & location]

Can you expand on the details of what computer specs you're working with at the moment?

As crashing just by selecting an assembly, is by no means a common problem, nor is a fix easily identified by that description alone. So maybe if you could post a screen shot using Windows "Snipping Tool", or "Print Screen" on the keyboard [copies to Clipboard - paste this into Paint, or similar & save]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP1] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

Cpu    Intel    64 Bit I7-6700K   4GHz

Ram               32G

Windows       10    64 Bit    Home

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 2.5" 1TB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDRE1TB

@Ahweh,

OK, so for the most part, your system looks good [in fact, is almost better than my  fairly new machine], bar one particular place, that being the GTX1060 card.

Can you please check what driver version you have installed for this card, as listed in "Device Manager".....as it looks like there is a couple of very recent updates [391.01 - WHQL] on the nVidia site. >LINK here<

If you are contemplating an upgrade [if this is even an option], I would absolutely recommend a "Quadro" based graphics card for any professional 3D CAD use.

My specs: [for comparison]

CPU: i7-8700K 3.7GHz

RAM: 16GB [2x 8GB]

Video: Quadro P2000 [Driver: 22.21.13.8590]

Sys Storage: EVO960 NVMe SSD 250GB

NIC: Onboard [Gigabyte Z370 HD3 - Cat5 to switch]

-

Data Storage: NAS DS916+ [Gigabit LAN - Cat5 cabling]

Sean Cresswell

Creator
Creator

My video driver is up to date.

I will have to wait on the Quadro P2000 [Driver: 22.21.13.8590] Video card due to lack of funds.

Is the 8700 a 6 core CPU?

Do you think it could be my video card or somethong I did to make it do that?

@Ahweh  Crashing when using the 3D environments while either displaying or selecting geometry is almost always caused by the graphics card/driver.  Consumer cards like the one you have are never intended to support the higher end functions that workstation apps need.  Solid Edge selects the higher end settings for graphics in its options.  You as a user have the ability to set them down.  They are ordered in the list in order of dependency on the graphics card, so work your way down the list until you find a setting that works well for you.  Guessing the "Graphics card driven" may work for you just fine.

2017-03-09_10-42-56.png

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

HI @Ahweh

as mentioned by @SeanCresswell already, there could be many reason why a software crashes under certain circumstances. 

What can be read out of Your specifications is the gForce, and we have seen that as a major factror of problems over the last year.

There were problem regarding the gforce driver under win10

Another aspect is Win10 Home which is not supproted officially what will not mean that this is the problem, we simply don't know it exactly.

What I also have seen very often is the user privileges are not enough again espially when installing.

So always do it with the RMB and "Run as Admin" and not only click the setup.exe

What I was no able to see is wherefrom You are opening that assembly.

From the local drive, from network?

And this is the next possible candidate for a problem issue - the antivirus software

What is that done when accessing a file?

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

This is what my options looks like.

@Ahweh, you will need to have any of the 3D environment [new file, or existing] types open [PAR, PSM, ASM] in order to access the correct settings options.

Sean Cresswell

Creator
Creator

Hello again.

I finally got a new video card installed today it is a PNY Quatro p2000 and I still am having issues with it crashing when I do certian things that I have learned to work around mostly.

I am going to enlist the tech support people I pay for to help with the problem to see if they can help.

Thank you for all the help.