Solved! Go to solution

Best practices for drafting tube copes (fishmouth cuts) on compound angles?

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

Does anyone have Solid Edge experience drafting/dimensioning bent tubes with copes on different compound angles on each end?

Currently I'm starting with a "top view," and using angled cutting planes to maneuver the projections into the coping planes while maintaining association between my projections, but it is rather ugly, and seems to be a "brute force" method.  Is there a more elegant way of accompishing this?  Ideally a method of projecting a new view at something other than 90 degrees along the fold line (it would be labeled so the two projections would still be associated).  Unfortunately there does not seem to be much information available online, regarding proper practices for drafting copes on bent tubes in general, let alone specific to Solid Edge.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:  I should mention, I'm on ST8.  And I did find the "rotation angle" option under view properties/general, but as I'm dealing with compound angles it doesn't really help, since the rotations are not carried through to child projections.

EDIT Again:  Sorry if my original post was unclear.  I am using the xpress route tubing module, creating the geometry was easy enough (3D sketch then xpress route for the tubes, create rotated planes about each end for the cuts).  I'm struggling to properly show the required views on a print.

8 REPLIES

Re: Best practices for drafting tube copes (fishmouth cuts) on compound angles?

I believe this is one of the things the harness design option of the software gives you. In general, the ability to design and draft in terms of a tube bender. Length, bend, rotation, length bend etc. At least that's what I remember from a call to GTAC long ago. If you don't get a good response from one of the true pro's here like Imics or many others, I would call GTAC about it.

If you don't have the "pipe" module I would suggest you to use the 3D sketch to define the pipe path and then a loft protrusion.

Before the 3D sketch i did create 2D sketch for each linear segment on 3 point planes, way more time consuming than the 3D sketch method.

In both cases the first step is to draw the start and end point of the pipe, in many cases was an Inter Part Copy from an assembly.

Sorry I misunderstood the request, I though about bent tubes only.

I have done pipes cutted as you request only one time to draw a boat top.
In that case I still used 3D sketches in assembly environment to "draw" the frame, then I have draw each pipe and about the "cuts" i have used each pipe geometry as a basepoint for the cut. The Interpart copy helped alot in defining it.

Basically the 3D sketch avoid the hassel to orient the planes, and the each pipe geometry is used to cut the others.

[ Edited ]

I'm assuming you are talking about difficulty of creaing views/dimensions of 'cuts' on compound angles.

I think its going to be a combination of section views (which can be put on a defined angle) and auxilliary view (which rely on existing edges of the model to define the angle). I haven't tried this but if you draw a line in view can you then use that line to define an aux view. You might also need to place a view using 'look at face' command in the orientation set-up.

Edit: Just tried it - you can draw a line in view and then use that to define the aux view direction.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Beachcomber,

Are you using ST8?  Under my view tab I don't have any sketcing options.  Under the sketching tab I can create a line, but am unable to select it with the auxiliary view; aux only lets me select the tube centerlines.

I used the "look at face" command to determine my starting plane, but if I do that for multiple views I lose my view association.  Section views have so far been the only way I can find to do it, but it's ugly - minimum of five different section views to get what I need.  The tube has a single bend in it, but the coping cuts on each end are on different compound angles.

Fiorini, 

Do you remember how you called out the cuts on the tube prints?  That's where I'm stuck.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Patrick90
‎04-11-2016 11:56 AM

[ Edited ]

No - using ST7

RMB on the view then Draw in View.

In there you can sketch lines, then when you exit draw in view you can use them for aux view orientation.

Once you have the view created you can go back into draw in view and hide the line(s) by moving it (and any dimensions you might have created) to the layer "Auto Hide".

Edit: can you post a picture of what you have at the tube end.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Aha, I never knew that feature was there.  That should work for what I need, thank you!