Big problem - SE says it can't find template files when importing

Hello,

I was trying to import an 8020 part from 3D Connection and got a message that SE cannot find my template files.  I used these templates all the time when creating new parts without a problem.  The path is set in the options dialog box.  What's going on?  I'm dead in the water right now because I can't import anything - not even files that imported just fine in ST5.  Here is a video:

http://screencast.com/t/5OSG7sk9Uz

I've checked several files I was able to previously import with the same results.  I'm running ST6 MP5

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
9 REPLIES

Re: Big problem - SE says it can't find template files when importing

I noticed that the folder you have specified for you User Templates has no template files in it, you need to put your default templates there.  Guessing the folder only contains subfolders...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Hi Ken,

I used the same folder structure in ST5 and previous versions with no problems.  I'll copy them to the main folder as a check.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

I reset my folder path to "G:\Solid Edge Templates\More" which puts it directly in the folder that has the template files in it - no luck.  Something has changed between ST5 and ST6 that is causing this problem.  I've used the folder structure since version 9 with no problems.  ST6 is the first version to cause the problem.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

OK,

Rant mode=on

I figured it out.  The dialogue box says go to the Helpers dialogue and set the default templates.  I was looking at the Options dialogue and the "file locations".  Then, there's the options.xml file accessed through the SE Admin program.  That's three F%&#ing locations to set file paths and have to keep up with when installing a new version.  This is what I'm talking about with all the settings and "secret" locations of things that are forgotten over the course of year between updating versions.

I could swear all I did in the past was set the file locations path and I was good to go.

Rant mode= off

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Guess we never messed with that and it appears to point to the user template base location templates unless it can't find them and then it appears to point to the default delivered templates.  Do you happen to delete the default delivered templates by any chance?

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken,

I don't delete the default templates, I just provide a different path to a folder on our server that stores all of my templates.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

I think I figured out why it worked for us.  We make our default Pella template file names match those of the delivered Solid Edge default templates.  Then all we do is direct the User Template location using the Options.XML file and then the Default Templates setting and those on the Start Screen all point to our templates automagically.

Thanks,
Ken

What's so strange is that before I "fixed" the problem, I was able to go to my list of templates during import and pick one - only then did SE throw up the error message.  It seems contradictory that SE will let you go through the process of picking a template and then decide that it's not happy about it.  This is the same process I used for years without issue.  A default template should be the fall back if you don't pick one, but I did and then the trouble started.  The default template I picked in the helpers dialogue is the exact same one I picked manually during the import process.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Hello Grundey,

I too figured out the solution as suggested by kjoiner. But I think the solution is just a workaround. I noticed that for opening a NX part in SE, we need to point the Template folder in SE cache as the value for <UserTemplate> tag in Options.xml 

Can't we have a point a central template folder on the server as the <UserTemplate>, so that the Options.xml behaves same irrespective to the user using SE. (Cache changes for each user).