Binder, create excel file.

Hi everyone,

Anyone had manual guide / link / video to use binder?

Application button > Info > Binder

Expecially how to create excel file. I want to change the dimension value in excel and after that dimension value in Solid Edge will also changed aumatically.

Thanks

Solid Edge ST9 User

16 REPLIES

Re: Binder, create excel file.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi:

See this tutorial to link Excel with Solid Edge.

Another video is here.

~Tushar Suradkar

fb.pngSolid Edge Users Facebook Group

[ Everything under the Sun about - Solid Edge ]

Thanks @Tushar

Betreff: Binder, create excel file.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Muhammad_Ayub,

as @Tushar has already shown how You can use Excel sheets for driving the SE geometry, there always will be one big question:

"Does it make sense to drive geometry from an external file or not?"

IMHO it is not the best of all possible solutions.

I personally prefer the Solid Edge variable table to calculate and drive model geometry.

You nearly can calculate every necessary dimension relation using the given mathematical functions and formulars.

And - again a very personal approach - I prefer to have geometrical relations rather than formulars and functions

Besides this every external reltaions could be very dangerous in aspect of moving, renaming, deleting those files.

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Can you share the same variable value between files?

Thanks, Chris

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Chris3  I think you can do so only in files within the same assembly. That perhaps is an argument for using a spreadsheet.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

@hawcad Thanks for the view

Phenom
Phenom

I share valued between part files all the time.

When you have a file open in solid edge, and your looking at the variables, right click the variable and "copy link.

Then go to the destination file and create a new variable name, then "paste link"

I use this for every piece of sheet metal and it's stable. I link in the bend radius and thickness so I can use them in calculations of back gage and stick out for bend tables. Thata way if the gage is changed, the variable automatically update and display in draft using annotation. The one drawback is that there is now way to use that in a table, only strings of text.

Phenom
Phenom

Long shot here @12GAGE - could you embed an excel sheet onto your drawing (instead of using a table) and paste your links from the model into that.

It does work (just tried it), but would it give you the desired results.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Phenom
Phenom

bshand wrote:

@Chris3  I think you can do so only in files within the same assembly. That perhaps is an argument for using a spreadsheet.

You can copy paste variables betwen files even if they are not in the same assembly.