Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: Binder, create excel file.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi Edgers,

besides all the pros and contras of Excel or internal table there IMHO is one big issue I want to have for Solid Edge for "decades".

The binder philosophy is great but it would be even greater if man could see the binder within the edge bar!

So You easily can see wether and what is saved in the internal binder, to use it, to modify it adn to worik with.

That much hidden as the biders are in the moment nobody really can and will find them even less will use them.

This IMHO again is the typical Solid Edge behaviour:

There are great ideas und wonderful functions but finally the are not fully completed in implementation.

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

There is an ER (5133351) about this:

binder and tables in pathfinder.png

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Fiorini, Yes but will they be linked? According to help, if I'm reading it correctly, linking only works within assemblies.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@bshand wrote:

@Fiorini, Yes but will they be linked? According to help, if I'm reading it correctly, linking only works within assemblies.

As long as you do a "Copy link" - "Paste link" it will be linked.

The limit is that you need to have them both open in Solid Edge to keep value update, otherwise the "update " button doens't work. I don't know if this is a limit or a bug.

I would say that with parts in the same assembly you guarantee that they are always up to date.

Re: Binder, create excel file.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I tried that once, using values in excel to control the model is stable and updates. Going from data in the files to excel I had problems getting updates to be stable. I gave up on that direction. So as a result, using data from the files to be display in an excel table was not practical for my situation.

If there is a way to make that work I would like to know. I have had a 3 year dream of displaying my back gage calulcations in a table. 

In my case I need to use bend radius and thickness from part files and dimensions placed in draft then do calculations using both set of data,  then place that data in a table in draft. All in a way that updates when the parts gage is changed. I have that now, but excel is not involved and its not in a table, just strings of text using annotation.

If you want to see that in action, I have a file posted in another thread where I was asking if the file could be made in Sync from scratch. You can download it and see how I created the bend tables displayed in draft.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks everyone.  I think I have solved this issue by using Family of Parts.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Unfortunatelly I have simmilar problem with unstable Excel Bindings. I want to use the SE to Excel bindings to optimise of tolerances in my complex geometry. The excel binding works properelly in both ways Excel to SolidEdge and SolidEdge to Excel just after it were configured. However when the files have been closed, and again open, the bidirectional conection is lost. Then, mannualy it need to be reestabilished by clicking to links. That makes the Excel Binding useless to externall software, which I am using for optimisation. The software preriodically opens excel file for data check and, excel not call for update the links.

Maybe someone have an solution for such automation?

I image some sort of vb macro that can reestablish the bindings each time excel was open. Any sugestions?