Solved! Go to solution

Block Properties?

[ Edited ]

Can anyone explain the what and how of the circled section of the block properties dialog. Naturally, the help is pretty useless to me.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
7 REPLIES

Re: Block Properties?

If you (anyone) is a user of Blocks, it allows you to create properties for individual Blocks to establish "meta data" about the Block.  You can extract those properties into tables (Block Tables) for documentation purposes.  If you have or receive AutoCad files (of which many legacy files use blocks and have property information associated), those blocks and their properties carry across into Solid Edge.  Just double-click into the Name column and create a name for a property and then its value.

I'm sure there are many other uses but that's just the tip of the iceberg of what you can do.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

[ Edited ]

About as helpful as the help...why doesn't help offer real world examples of how it might be used?

OK, I know you can put data in it but:

How do you use it?
What do "name" and "value" pertain to?

What are its advantages?

What exactly does it have to do with autocad blocks?

How is it advantageous to type in data there?

Bruce Shand
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author bshand
‎02-04-2016 09:10 AM

[ Edited ]

Hi,

this is a simple method offered, to put blocks (symbols, part shapes, etc.) into a 2D drawing and You were able to get s BOM out of it.

Think at electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic schematics and the need for BOM of them.

regards
Wolfgang
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author bshand
‎02-04-2016 09:10 AM

"Name" represents the name of the Property.  Value is whatever it is (number, text, etc).

AutoCad made "blocks" popular for 2D data reuse.  Only reason I mention AutoCad is that AutoCad users recognize the term blocks and Solid Edge can read/recognize both the 2D geometry and property information from AutoCad blocks (assuming you might want to reuse old AC files).

You can use the Callout feature (From Graphic Connection to Block) or Block Table feature to extract any of these properties in reference to your blocks.  I would assume some creators of schematics might use some of this property information to create a Block Table and/or lable a block on the sheet.  I'm sure there are other use cases.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

[ Edited ]

OK. I get it. I think. At least I got it to work with both @grayson's and @hawcad's explicit instructions about a callout linking to block. It only pertains to 2D info (right?) so it's of very limited usefulness to us it seems. Sounds like we should continue to ignore that area.

Thanks for the real help.

Bruce Shand

@bshand It's primarily to serve the "Schematic" process (Electrical, Pneumatic, Hydraulic, or other connection logic of routed systems) which is typically 2D.  Folks load their Blocks with attributes and then use the Block Table to get a parts list of components.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

[ Edited ]

@Grundey,

Thanks. I wish help in SE could be as helpful. Something simply stating explicitly that it's a 2D tool so to someone thick like me it would be helpful.

It would be nice if you could turn it off when doing properties on a block to enter info in the lower section (like when you first bring in the block) for those with no interest in the upper section.

Bruce Shand