Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boat Hull

Let me start off by saying that I am very new to Solid Edge and 3d surfacing in general.  I have drawn the hull of a 23' boat but am not satisfied with the lines of the hull.  I would like to add more flare to the bow.  Can someone give me a little advice on how to do this?  If I need to give more information on how i constructed what i have so far just tell me and I will.

Thanks for any and all help!Boat 1.png

9 REPLIES

Re: Boat Hull

MLombard
Retired

Yeah, uploading the model would be ideal, but I understand if you don't want to do that. To give specific advice we'd at least need an image of the sketches you used to produce the face in question.

Generally, for that face, I would use a Bluesurf, and use either edges or sketches for the curves, and make sure you create a mesh of curves, so the sketches are on planes perpendicular to one another. You can try to draw edges explicitly, but that usually doesn't work out like you think it will, so you have to just make a clean 4 sided Bluesurf, and then trim it back to have the shape that you need, which is what it looks like you've done.

The goal will be to have a curve controlling the shape in the area where you're concerned about the profile, and then you can change the curvature of the sketch and almost directly control the 3D shape.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Further to what Matt has offered.....I would look to add either guide curve[s] or use insert sketch command to make additional [editable] profile geometry.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP2] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

I dont mind adding it at all.  There is no engineering to this hull at all.  100% aesthetics to see if I could create the shapes and hull forms that I wanted.

How do you create the mesh that you mentioned?

MLombard
Retired

To make the mesh, you'd create (at least) two parallel curves/sketches which might be the top and bottom of the face, then make a set of perpendicular curves that connect to the first two curves that drive the shape of the face. You'll probably need a set of planes or just use a 3D sketch. I'll download your sample file and make an example for you.

Oops. You must be on the academic version? I can't open that file.

That is correct, I am in the student version. I a following you for the most part, just can't figure out how to make the sketches drive the surface.

MLombard
Retired

I sketched a spline on the Top plane, then offset a plane, and sketched another spline on that.

Then I made planes normal to the curve and sketched the cross section curves on those.

There's another sketch that I used to trim off the top to give the surface some shape instead of just a four sided Bluesurf. You could make that top curve directly, but you'd have to use a 3D keypoint curve. Part attached.

The Bluesurf uses cross section curves and guide curves.10-30-2015 5-59-28 PM.png

Thanks for all of the help! Sorry for being MIA i went camping over the weekend.  Just wanted to let you know that with your help i figured it out using the guide curve.  I plan on playing with the bluedots soon.

Just wanted to give an update.  This is what I ended up with.Boat 1.png