Solved! Go to solution

Bolt Hole Circles by a Luddite

I am new to CAD, and have a basic knowledge of computers.  

Like many of us in small business, I have discovered that in order to get simple parts made, it is much simpler to have a CAD drawing file to take to the shop that burns parts out of plate, machine shops, and other metalworking shops.  I decided to try Solid Edge 2D to make these drawings.

I decided to draw a simple wheel adapter.  This involves a piece of 3/8" steel plate with a round center hole and a circular outside diameter.  It has two bolt circles, one 8 on 6" and one 5 on 11.25".  It is that simple.  Unfortunately, in Solid Edge it is not that simple!

SE 2D does not have a command to make bolt circles.  In order to make a bolt circle, you first have to lay out the holes, then use the "bolt hole circle" annotation to define the circle.  So how do you lay out the holes?  

There are numerous threads in this forum regarding "Bolt Hole Circle."  Unfortunately, these  posts are no help because the critical information is no longer present in them.  The links no longer work.  This is a problem that I will try to address in my post.

I make no claim to having any CAD talent, so my approach may not be the correct one.  It did make the two bolt patterns correctly.

I started by making two layers, Part Edges and Holes.  In the Part Edges layer I laid out the inner diameter and outer diameter of the part, including the dimensions.  This was very easy, using the "Circle by Center Point" command.  I annotated the dimensions using the "Distance Between" and "Callout" commands.

Now for the hardest part.  In one of the unhelpful posts, it mentioned that there was a circular pattern layout option under the "Rectangle by Center Point" command.  I could not find this in ST8, but there was a command for "Polygon by Center Point".  When opened, a dialogue box gives an option for "Polygon by Center Point - By Vertex".  I selected this option and fill the dimension box with the radius of the bolt circle, and used the number of holes to fill the "number of sides" box.

Now to the "Holes" layer.   I used the "Circle by Center Point" command to place my holes by selecting the appropriate hole size and clicking on each vertex point.  Once all the holes are placed, I used the annotation command "Bolt Hole Circle" to mark the circle and the "Callout" command to label it.

Now I have a disc with two sets of bolt circle holes laid out.  Did I make a usable CAD file?

5 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by dcstaples (Community Manager)
‎12-08-2015 03:44 PM

Re: Bolt Hole Circles by a Luddite

[ Edited ]

Hi there @Jock,

These are very simple items to draw indeed, even in 2D only....and there are further steps that will make certain of geometric accuracey, like concentricity, as well as alignment on the holes....using relationships for these.

The key term you needed is "Pattern", of which there are two types, rectangular & circular. The later being the right one for this example.

No need to use the polygon tool...as this is now extranious geometry that either you, or your profile cutting shop, will have to remove, or if they're not watching, could become the cut path also.

Try doing it like this... [see video]

(view in My Videos)

There is also a specific forum for Solid Edge 2D users.... >here<

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Sean, Thank you for your help!  When I get time, I will use your instructions to redo my drawing.  I will document my progress.

I watched your video and think I understand the logic of the sequence.  I paused the video as I went along in order to capture each move.  Because amatuers like me have trouble keeping track of what they are doing, I will track the selections of each step like this:

Layer>Home>Mirror v Circular Pattern

The v means drop-down from the Mirror selection.  Maybe ^ would be better, but not intuitive for us Luddites.

I will post here and on the 2D forum when I get it done.

By the way, how would I delete the polygon from the first attempt?  I could not find anything in the help files under delete, edit, or remove.

Thanks again, 

Jock

[ Edited ]

Hi @Jock,

No problem, glad to help, when I can......and sorry, there will no doubt be plenty things I'm glossing over, that I do instinctively in my video & probably in my written description too.

Even though I thought I was consciously pacing myself.

Oh, and you probably want to do the 2 patterns as a last steps, after sizing & positioning the other geometry...also note, the pattern is automatically grouped, which can be undone with a command, for say, should you later want to have one of those holes removed, or at a different size. [ungroup - select the single hole circle - type/enter the new size, or delete]

A really handy hint, is to watch [read] the "Prompt Bar" for process specific feedback on what the system is looking for next, and some of the options, like keyboard shortcuts, that would speed that same drawing up even further.

To delete an entity, simply select an element [geometry, dimension or annotation] and hit "Delete" on your keyboard.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Might note also that a pattern in draft is not editable so get it right the first time or delete and redo.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP6 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

bshand wrote:

Might note also that a pattern in draft is not editable so get it right the first time or delete and redo.

Further to Bruces note.....make certain to select the pattern and run the "Ungroup" command, otherwise you will accidentally also delete the parent hole included in that automatic group. [simply UNDO if you forgret & that happens]

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10