Broken assembly with alternate members

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have an assembly file that is years old.  It has 5 or so Alternate Assembly members.  When I open the file, it does let me select any of the alternates and seems to open the correct version.  Until a month or so ago, it was fine.  I thought I had a problem with just this one part floating in space that cannot be deleted.  But it's worse than that - when I go to the Alternate Assemblies tab, none of my alternate members show up in the drop down box.  The only items that are selectable are new, and "Apply To all members" checkbox.  All other icons in the alternate assemblies tab are disabled.  I can't delete any parts from this assembly.

Not sure if it's in any way related, but if I edit any of the xpress route tubing, it accepts the changes, but then doesn't change the part.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES

Re: Broken assembly with alternate members

Genius
Genius

Hi @AviatorDave

maybe here you will find the answer : https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Alternate-Assembly-Icon-is-blank/m-...

regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@AviatorDave  If you open an Alternate Assembly from a Draft or another assembly it is placed in, it inactivates the other members and locks you to the member that was placed.  Not sure if this might be the reason for your issue.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Pioneer
Pioneer

No, I'm opening the actual asm file from the open menu inside solid edge.  I am not in xpressroute nor ERA. When I open the file, it does ask which alternate I want to open, and does open the correct alternate.  But once it opens, I can't change alternates, delete ANY parts, or view the table.  I've used this file regularly, as in at least several times a month since about 2011.  This is different behavior than I've ever seen.

Pioneer
Pioneer

This is even stranger - if I open it from inside solid edge, I get the popup menu asking which member I want to open.  But if I try to open it from windows file explorer, I get this:  Solid Edge ST9  "Cannot open file.  Make sure the file is the correct type and version for the application and that you have read access."

But I am the owner, and have full access rights. I even deleted all other permissions, added myself back in, and it still has all the same behavior.

Genius
Genius

AviatorDave wrote:

"... Until a month or so ago, it was fine...."

"... I had a problem with just this one part floating in space that cannot be deleted. ..."

"...  Not sure if it's in any way related, but if I edit any of the xpress route tubing, it accepts the changes, but then doesn't change the part. ..."

This is even stranger - if I open it from inside solid edge, I get the popup menu asking which member I want to open.  But if I try to open it from windows file explorer, I get this:  Solid Edge ST9  "Cannot open file.  Make sure the file is the correct type and version for the application and that you have read access."

Thanks.

I'm no expert, but these all sound like graphics card things to me.  Except for your latest post about not able to open, that is strange.  Call GTAC, they are great.

1. a month ago it was fine, makes me think Mod Pack install or MS update, one you know about the other you don't.

2. parts or other "stuff" floating in space always points me to a graphics card issue, often times a driver too new or too old.

3. multiple problems starting at the same time in completely different environments, also makes me think some incompatability relating to updateds and graphics drivers.

We've had excellent service from GTAC, tell them your hardware config and firmware/drivers.  They will usually tell you what you should be running.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Pioneer
Pioneer

When I wrote "floating", it wasn't just graphics artifacts.  It was merely an unconstrained out of location part.  I first thought it was the only problem, but in fact, I can't delete ANY parts.  That was the only one I was trying to delete.  But this just got worse - I restored a part from early may that was good, but was missing about 4 recent parts.  I added them, made some changes, and everything seemed ok.  But now the problem is back.

Looks like I need to call GTAC.

Genius
Genius
GTAC -> yep, they are good and you're already paying for the service.

file an IR here:
https://webtac.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/qtac/index.php5?lang=en

Then pack-and-go the whole assembly, check the zip file radio button and change the name to start with the IR number and upload.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.