Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Bug? Solid Edge fails to synchronize automaticely

Genius
Genius

Solid Edge fails to synchronize within the Harness automaticely in a Assembly+Subassembly environment.

My impression is, there are several unexpected observations, possibly indicating a bug in Solid Edge?

Description of the situation:

• I have an Assembly with a Subassembly included.
  • The Subassembly contains a Harness but no Relations reported in the Assembly Relations Manager.
  • I try to put in place the connector, acting as one end of the Harness.

Observations:

1. Trying to generate any New Relation e.g. Axial Alignment with the connector of the Subassembly and the Assembly of one end fails, despite no reported Relations within the cable.
  2. Trying to move the same connector with the steering wheel works without Relations Conflict, but automatic synchronisation lacks within the Harness (The Path is updated but Physical Conductor fails to update, both, within the Subassembly and within the Assembly)
  3. The UnDo option is disabled after the Steering Wheel action.
  4. Successful synchronisation can be gained by several methods forcing Solid Edge to read Definition e.g. calling the Edit Path within the subassembly or by re-opening Assembly or Subassembly for new in Solid Edge.

(view in My Videos)

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Bug? Solid Edge fails to synchronize automaticely

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Seems like you're an ideal candidate to employ adjustable tube capability with XpresRoute.

What you are trying to do now isn't really an as-designed workflow with plain vanilla SE.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/2019/se_help#uid:xid1129777:xid1325277:index_xid1325...

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Genius
Genius

Hi Bruce

Thank You for the hint to differently work on that task. I'll try to find out, how this works.

But additionally: It seems to me, and You didn't object that:

There is a bug in SE program, lacking synchronizing i.e. reading the new data. What would be the place to call the programmer's attention to that? Sometimes feeback is helpful for them, I guess.

best regards

Hans

It's not a bug. It's not designed to do what you are trying to do. The adjustable tube functionality in XpresRoute is designed to make adjustable tubes possible.

Bruce Shand

@Hans11 The proper way to log an "Incident Report" (IR) is through your reseller (VAR) on your behalf.  If it is a bug, your IR will be converted to a "Problem Report" (PR) or attached to an existing PR if one already exists in their system.  If it is not a bug, then you can request that they create an "Enhancement Request" (ER) asking for added functionality or a change to exisiting functionality, and again, if an ER already exists asking for the same thing, they will append your IR to it.

Posting issues on this forum do not make it into the development cycle as it is a user forum and not the correct channel for reporting issues.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Genius
Genius

@bshand 

Hi Bruce,

now I tried XPressRoute You suggested. I find XPressRoute allows routing of tubes and pipes but I do not find wires and cables. (Neither can I generate a Path and switch over to Harness and use it with wires and cables, because an item constructed with XPressRoute can only be worked on in the XPressRoute environment.)

• So unfortunately I do not see, how XPressRoute could solve my wiring problem.
  • And ... I do not understand, why SE offers two routing environments (XPressRoute and Harness), so close to eachother in their tasks (routing) but not compatible to eachother,
    • neither in their results
    • nor in details of their use.

@Hans11 Good question (routing environments) for which I have no idea. I've never had the priviledge of using XpresRoute or Harness tools. I just kmew that adjustable tubing was a new capability offered in SE2019 if I recall.

As for the bug question I probably spoke out of turn giving my opinion that it wasn't a bug and you should follow @KennyG's advice on that.

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius

@KennyG  @bshand 

I do not have a reseller, as I'm using in on an academic license. So the way with "my" reseller probably isn't open to me. Is there a way for my kind of lonesome wolves Smiley Wink

@Hans11 If you are not paying yearly maintenance, then you do not have the ability to log Incident Reports.

If you have the University Edition given to you by the school you are attending, then the University pays a yearly maintenance and thus your University representative to Siemens PLM can submit an Incident Report on your behalf.

If you are using the freely downloaded Student edition, then you have no options...

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Genius
Genius

@KennyG 

That is, it seems SolidEdge developers unnecessarily cut themselves off from tester feedback, they would get for free :-).. That's a pity.

My impression is, that routing in Harness and XPressRoute are a powerful options, very helpful, but not yet developed to a final state.