Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build In Data Management Setup for Clients

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi Edgers,

just want to ask a detailed question about setting up BiDM for cleints with an index server share.

When I install the Fast Search on server the interface and options are not exactly the same as with the clients (Solid Edge) standard setup?

Must the "Manage" option be turned on on every client to use BiDM or will it work even if this is off?

And how to define the rules for Document Naming, Life Cycle, etc.?

regards
Wolfgang
6 REPLIES

Re: Build In Data Management Setup for Clients

Experimenter
Experimenter

We had the same problems with search on our network

I added in the manage tab on, every Solid Edge user's Computer, our network path

(\\Design Office\Solid Edge)

Now you can search, find drawings for specific part, assembly, from the Data Management Tab

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

@hawcad

Almost all of the BiDM settings and functions, such as Naming Rules and Vault Locations can be controled through the SEadmin options.xml.  I do believe each user will have to check the box on to utilize the settings as this changes which CPD is displayed when saving files.  As for the options not being the same with the Fast Search Server, what do you mean?  Which portion of BiDM do you want to work when the user does not have it turned on?

Hi @ChrisMerz

the protion I meant when saying it is not equal were especially those regarding life cycle rules, Document nameing rules etc.

Those options and settings came in with ST10 but the server Fast search interface is that one from ST9.

This is what I see as not equal.

When using ST10 I suppose the server settings are the same as the client settings, and I do them once on server but not on any single client.

See it similar to SAC file for Standard Parts at SQL server rather than locally installed for every user.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@hawcad

SEAdmin does not have any options for setting 'Use Solid Edge Data Management' on or off.

The assumtion then is that you have to enable it for each user - it can't be controlled by the Otions.xml file.

SEAdmin does, however, allow you to define the FastSearchScope.txt file and this will then be defined in Options.xml

When you enable 'Use Solid Edge Data Management' unter Solid Edge Options > Manage then the path to your FastSearchScope.txt file is displayed.

When testing ST10 I found that the configuration menus had changed from those shown in ST9 videos.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Hi @beachcomber

thnaks for sending an answer.

The non existing entry in SEAdmin is ot that issue, I'm used to do it via a registry file which  is created on a role out machine and from there used on any other computer.

What in the first moment astonished me a little was the fact, that You have to turn on that option everywhere and it is not recognized from the server setting and indexing.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@hawcad

Yest it is odd that you can define the fast search locations via SEAdmin, but not turn on/off BIDM for users.

Should be an option, even if you allow the setting to be over-ridden by the user.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.