Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Callout quantity not adding up?

Legend
Legend

This feature starts with a hole that is then slotted out and then patterened down one side and mirrored to the other side of the part. In the past the quantity was always just typed in but now that I am doing all the drawings myself I am trying to automate as much as possible and have run into a few oddities as I am doing so.

When I use %QC I get the quantitiy down one side.

When I do %QA I get the quantity of the whole part -2?

When I do %QP I get the quantity of the whole part -2?

This doesn't make sense to me, what am I missing?

SE ST10 MP10

11 REPLIES

Re: Callout quantity not adding up?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Kind of hard to analyze with what you supplied. Can you upload the part at least?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

I can't post it publicly.

Sent to bshand for assistance. Thanks!

Legend
Legend
What purpose does it serve to call out how many times this is occurring on each side?

I'm sure I'll get beat up for asking this, but I've been pondering why some things are noted on prints, and if they are really valuable, or just old practices. For example, if a surface has only one hole size, but numerous holes on that face, what purpose does it do to call out the quantity?

Not trying to jack your thread, and take it easy on me with any harsh replies to my honest question. I've been an estimator, and a fabricator for 30+ years, and the only time this helped me was to add up the number of machine actions to quote run times for a given fabrication machine.

Get @Trikefreak!

PitchForks.png

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

They are called out for the same reason number of holes is called out, people suck at counting and miss stuff that isn't obvious. On one of our last jobs a part like this made it to final assembly before someone noticed the V-slots were not there.

My intent is to have master models with master drawings that just require me to update an excel sheet to spit out a new product but I just keep getting hung up on stupid hitches like this that seem to require manual input due to buggy or incomplete features.

Legend
Legend

Gotcha! If you are still laying out parts with blue die and a scribe, like they did 60 years ago, then I see the need for counts. In the age of CNC machines, and importing dxf into programming software, this seems like a waste of time, from my point of view.

Once again, sorry to jack your post, and thanks for not sending me off to be hung................... Smiley Happy

Legend
Legend
This feature is actually hand ground, we tried it with waterjet but this area is carbon or stainless steel overlaid with stellite 1 or 6, the difference in hardness caused bad washout kerf.

Legend
Legend
Bshand and I are both unsure as to what is going on so I submitted it to GTAC : IR 9274904.

@nanan00  Can that stuff be wire EDM'd or does the difference in material hardness also cause an under/overcut?

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP4, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com