Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I surpass self intersecting error

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello ST community

I am trying to use the sweep feature, I was wondering if can i surpass or override the self intersecting error.

Thank you

Screenshot (101).png

4 REPLIES

Re: Can I surpass self intersecting error

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @AmanRa,

I think it's probably a case of the guide curve being too sharp at the turns, to suit the main profile,....hard to say for sure without reviewing the file.

Try editing [softening] the curve to see if that results in a working sweep.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP6] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello Sean,

I know that the curve is too sharp, but can i override it? I mean, I don't mind if the figure intersect each other. For ej, in Rhino, it gives you results but with the curve intersecting or joint at certain part.

MLombard
Retired

One thing you can do is to break the sweep into multiple features. Self intersecting geometry is almost always an error, and when it's not its easy enough to create multiple features. Users sometimes ask for stuff that would really wreak havoc if it were implemented. Self-intersection and zero-thickness are two such discussions that happen with some regularity.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

AmanRa wrote:
I know that the curve is too sharp, but can i override it? I mean, I don't mind if the figure intersect each other. For ej, in Rhino, it gives you results but with the curve intersecting or joint at certain part.

Hello again,

Yes I use Rhino too, although not very often....because Solid Edge is a solid modeller, it is struggling with the resulting "automated" geometry creation, so a few manual surfacing steps might be needed, or the way @MLombard describes.

Could you post the file here for further interogation?

I have just now made a similar test file of what I thought your issue was, but it has actually worked for me here. [in ordered mode ST9] I can also use "Dynamic Edit" and move the guide curve to a very sharp point with no issue.

2016-12-01.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP6] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000