Can SE analyze mechanism forces?I've been googling for an hour and haven't found the answer.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I've seen that it can do kinematics, i.e. constraints and animation, but what about forces between parts that can be used for FEA?

Speaking of FEA, does SE Premium include nonlinear analysis?

I have tio say that Siemens' written materials are frustratingly light on details of the s/w's capabilities.

5 REPLIES

look into a Solid Edge Add-on called Dynamic Designer....

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

look into a Solid Edge Add-on called Dynamic Designer.

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/applications/ddm.shtml

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

Solid Edge includes a module called Simply Motion.  It is...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Solid Edge includes a module called Simply Motion.  It is a teaser package provided by Dynamic Designer folks that Matt pointed you to.  It is said that you can get forces out of it by generating some report but I don't remember the process to do so.  As Matt said, get Dynamic Designer.  It will find the peak forces and output them as loads in Solid Edge Simulation automatically.

As far as non-linear in Solid Edge Simulation, it does not have it yet.  You would need to use FEMAP or another analysis package that has non-linear capabilities.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Re: Solid Edge includes a module called Simply Motion.  It is...

Experimenter
Experimenter
OK thanks.

I won't be doing enough to justify the expense of another add-on.

I could do what I want (investigate behavior of multilink vehicle suspension) with FEA, but might get bad answers unless nonlinear (for large displacements) is used.

Does Solid Edge Premium include FEMAP, and when moving into FEMAP and its manual meshing capabilitie is associativity to the solid model retained?

Another very important question is meshing of assembly models.

It's totally impractical to use automatic meshing on more than a few parts of an assembly as you'd quickly have millions or billions of elements.

What tools if any are available for generating shell and beam elements to approximate the real parts?

Experimenter
Experimenter
To clarify my last question, of course I can do it manually in FEMAP, but for example might I be able to define beam elements using points near the end of a tube part, and if I change the length of the tube will the beam element change to match.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
FEMAP is another product and is not included with SE Premium. What is included is Solid Edge Simulation. Solid Edge Simulation can use shell and beam elements. The shell element can be created using the mid-plane geometry command on the Simulation Geometry ribbon. I believe beam elements are only available for items created by the Frame tools in assembly so may not be able to be applied in your example.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10