Can ST6 operate on ST5 license manager?

Pioneer
Pioneer

My floating license is located on a server that runs Windows 2003. I have uninstalled ST5 License Manager and am not able to install ST6. Will ST5 work with ST6 program? Or is there possibly another reason why my License Manager wont install? 

6 REPLIES

Michele,   As a rule of thoumb you should always update y...

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Michele,

As a rule of thumb you should always update your licence server with each version release... 

However ST4, ST5 and ST6 all use the same LM.

Can you provide any more detail about not being able to install the LM from ST6.  Any specfic error messages or such.

Truth be told, ST6 will now allow us to run dual install, though this has it's own unique set of challanges and things that need understood.  I just bring this up to confirm that ST5 and ST6 can and do run on the same LM.

Note your Client install default path for the licence file has changed.  We are now storing the license file in the "Preferences" folder C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST6\Preferences

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

Re: Michele,   As a rule of thoumb you should always update y...

Pioneer
Pioneer
The disk drive on my Server (being older) would not operate, so the LM file was copied to the Server Desktop and then attempted to install. Immediately we were given the message "You are trying to install on a non-supported operating system."
Other than uninstalling ST5 LM, nothing else has been done on the Server.
Admittedly, this is my first time attempting to install SE and only have enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
The ST5 license manager will work fine if you reinstall it. Typically the license manager does not change and if it does there is a notice with the new release as such. All that is typically needed is to place the new license file on the server replacing the old and then stop and start the license manager to read the new file.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Pioneer
Pioneer

Well, I tried to re-install ST5. My Server is still giving the same message "non-supported operating system" . The message also includes the systems that ST5 can be ran on (2008 and XP), but does not include Windows 2003. I searched the information section on the cd and it lists 2003 as compatible. Any suggestions?

Michele 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
I would find another server with 2008 on it or update the OS on the one you were using.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Pioneer
Pioneer
Smiley Happy Thanks for the advice.

It is working now. Come to find out - LM ST4 was previously installed. Nothing like walking into the middle of something. But I guess you guys do that all the time!!

Thanks again.