Can Solid Edge create an Alternate Assembly containing Alternate Assemblies?

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

One of our user wants to create an Alternate Assembly containing Alternate Assemblies.

An Alternate Assembly that represents that the position of the part is different.

He wants to use Alternate Assembly as a child assembly and create Alternate Assembly 2.

In that case, Alternate Assemblies 2 wants to confirm the position of different parts, like the child assembly Alternate Assemblies.

Does some one knows; how it can be done?

12 REPLIES

Re: Can Solid Edge create an Alternate Assembly containing Alternate Assemblies?

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I don't have a specific answer, but you may want to consider using Flexible Assemblies instead.

Re: Can Solid Edge create an Alternate Assembly containing Alternate Assemblies?

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your response.

Would you please elaborate it bit more specific?

Regards,

Mayuresh

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Alternate position assemblies are intended to be used to create drawings that show both positions at the same time.  They are also used to verify clearances along the extremes of travel for movable components.  They really aren't intended to be unique configurations to be used in higher level assemblies, but that doesn't mean they can't be.  I'm clarifying the Family-of-Assemblies type because you mentioned that you only care about the position.

If you only care about the position, then I would create the assembly that is not fully constrained.  In other words, it's flexible.  In even more words, only add assembly relationships that define the actual physical constraints (degrees of freedom) that would exist in the actual assembly.  With the assembly not fully constrained, it is allowed to move, thus the term flexible.

When inserting that assembly into the next level assembly, select the option to make it flexible.  You can do this by right-clicking on the component in the assembly pathfinder or you can force it to be inserted as flexible in the Options of the assembly itself.  As a flexible assembly, the higher level assembly controls positioning of the lower level assembly.  You can show multiple positions by editing relationships at the top level assembly without having to modify or create unique family members of each subassembly.

Aside from that, if you end up swapping out components or do other modifications to your Family of Assemblies, then it is not an Alternate Position Assembly.  You can still use this FOA option and only show a different position.  The downside is that when you do a modification, you have to do it to each family member even though the family member represent the same item.  So there is extra work in maintaining a FOA just to show an alternate position.  Likewise, performance starts to suffer and some assembly features don't work.  Thus the reason I recommend flexible assemblies instead of FOA for positions.

The short answer to your question, though, is that Yes, you can create FOA that contain FOA.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

What defines a "Flexible assembly", Is this really a thing?

What would you call an assembly that can change X, Y and Z overall dimensions?

I call it re-sizable, but I would like to know the official term as many of my assemblies are set up for that control.

Phenom
Phenom

Think of a flexible assembly as something like a hydraulic cylinder where the stroke is unconstrained. That is what I use it for mostly. You build the cylinder assembly as normal, but suppress the relationship for the piston or rod that controls the extended length.

Then you bring it into another assembly and set it to be flexible. You connect the back of the cylinder to one object and the rod end clevis to the other. It will move as required based on the location of the object it is attached to. So perhaps you have an arm where the angle is driven by an angular constraint. By changing the angle, the cylinder changes length as required and moves along.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Wouldent that be an assembly w/ alternate position? Even if the alternate position is anything from 0 to 360 deg driving many components?

What I'm really trying to understand is how/if my "resizable" sheet metal box's limits me from using alternate assemblies. I would like to have doors that open within assemblies that are resizable.

Phenom
Phenom

A flexible assembly is not an alternate assembly. It is, as I said, nothing more than a regular assembly with a constraint suppressed or deleted. The alternate assembly is being driven positionally by its parent assembly. It is not changing the sizes of any of its constituent parts (ie the hydraulic cylinder example).

An alternate position assembly would have discrete alternate positions. A flexible assemble is completely reliant upon the assembly it is placed into, so it in effect has infinte alternate postions.

There are also adjustable parts in SE but I have not worked with them in a long time. If I recall they demo'd this capability as a spring that changed size based upon the position of a brake pedal. 

I imagine you could drive the doors via variables in your family of assemblies, but this not something that I have spent much time with any time recently.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No, a flexible assembly can change in axes, linear and rotational, defined in the next level assembly by either "promoting" constraints from the sub or adding constraints at the higher assy. The example of a cylinder can be accomplished with a flexible part. I have a few cylinders defined that way with the housing as one body and the rod as the second. That's pretty easy but in the cases where two or more bodies need to move independently from a third a flexible assembly is the way to go because you can't move two bodies in a flexible part independently. Also, because flexible parts require the user to define controlling variables in the assembly, depending on the sophistication of the users, flexible assemblies are a little easier IMO.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Alternate assemblies - generally comprise different parts.

Alternate position assemblies - same parts, different positions defined within the assembly.

Adjustable assemblies - underconstrained assemblies - final part positions are defined by the parent (higher level) assembly.

For alternate position assemblies it is also possible to define an adjustable configuration - all you need to do is suppress the required constraints.

I have done this with hydraulic cylinders to define a max and min length for the cylinder for drawing purposes, with the adjustable being put into higher assemblies. I also used an adjustable part for the corrugated bellows that extended/contracted as the length changed. That was fun.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.