Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a part not created in SE be defined (and used) as adjustable in an assembly?

Pioneer
Pioneer

There are a lot of little parts I use in my learning process with SE that actually started life as Solid Works (SLDPRT) files, that I download from McMaster-Carr. These include most of the bolts and hardware that I use in my assemblies, so that I don't have to model everything from scratch.

I have an occasion to use a (compression) spring in one of my projects. I downloaded the appropriate cad file (SLDPRT) from McMaster- Carr and then saved it out as a Solid Edge part.

I have watched numerous videos on how to work with adjustable parts in assemblies, but cannot seem to define the variable for this particular spring part, therefore, cannot make it adjustable in my assembly. I am still struggling with how to create a spring on my own in SE with the parameters i need for my assembly, and was hoping that I could just use the file I downloaded and make it adjustable.

Am I on a fools errand here? Or is there in fact a way to make it adjustable.?.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can a part not created in SE be defined (and used) as adjustable in an assembly?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Boogaloo,

I think, based on the subject line alone, the answer is yes, but in the case of a spring, the answer is no.

In that type of part, Solid Edge is accessing the model's construction parameters, to rebuild [normally the pitch of the turns] to the assembly driven, adjusted length.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP5] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Betreff: Can a part not created in SE be defined (and used) as adjustable in an assembly?

Hi @Boogaloo

but you should be able to create Your "helical protrusion" on Your own in few steps.

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Can a part not created in SE be defined (and used) as adjustable in an assembly?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks guys!

I spent the last couple of days reading tutorials, the PLM data and various yootoob videos and got the spring thing down to a science now. By referencing data provided by spring manufacturers, I was able to obtain the appropriate specs for the spring required and then I modelled it.

Took me a few tries to figure out how to properly link the variables within the assembly environment, but I finally got it wired. SE is some incredible software and it is a lot of fun learning it, frustrating as it is sometimes.

@Boogaloo  schrieb:

Thanks guys!

Took me a few tries to figure out how to properly link the variables within the assembly environment, but I finally got it wired. SE is some incredible software and it is a lot of fun learning it, frustrating as it is sometimes

... Yes it is!

regards
Wolfgang