Can a text field in a draft be automatically duplicated to 2nd text field in same draft file?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Our draft files have the same drawing number in 2 places. This is a carry over from manual hardcopy days to allow drawing number to be more easily seen when it was stored in file drawers.

Only difference between the 2 fields is text size and location.

Is there a way that I can set template up so one field replicates what is entered in other field?

Screen capture of draft showing similar fields.

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Climate Technologies | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

16 REPLIES

Re: Can a text field in a draft be automatically duplicated to 2nd text field in same draft file?

Phenom
Phenom

Have you considered changing from a text field and instead using a callout instead?

I'm not certain about if you can the way you're going about it. Have you considered using the file properties dialog for this? Or using the part filename without the extension? If you enter this information in the file properties then you can have callouts that reference that field in the draft file. So if you

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Re: Can a text field in a draft be automatically duplicated to 2nd text field in same draft file?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As @nominus38 says, you might consider driving most, if not all, of the fields with properties. That would automate some things as well as eliminate duplication like with the two part number fields.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

With ST8 I believe, there was the introduction of Refrence Text where the text of one annotation or text box can be associatively placed in another.

See this Help Page: https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/108/help/#uid:index_annotations:xid280272:xid280281:...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Wow, I didn't know about that. Though it does seem to be a long winded way to do something that can already be done with a callout much faster. Anybody know what this accomplishes that cannot be done using a callout?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Callouts and Text Boxes have the same functionality when it comes to property Text or Reference Text so not sure what your question really is?  Are you refering to using Property Text instead and pulling the Property "Document Number" or "File Name"?

To answer what I believe is your question about Reference Text, it's purpose is to allow things like a Datum Target identifier to be the source text and corresponding Feature Control Frames to be the refrenced text, that way when the Datum Target identifier changes, the refrenced text updates in the corresponding FCF's automatically.  Of course, it could also be used to place master notes on Page 1 and then refrence that text in notes on pages 2 through n and not have to worry about one of the pages notes not getting revised on a change.  Sure there are other various uses...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ken,

Thanks for the ST8 fix for this.

I work for a large corporation, and we sometimes are not very quick about getting upgrades installed inso far as major releases, due to server licensing setups.

IT guy said I could get ST8 within a few days.

I'm setting up all things Solid Edge for engineering sites in US, Costa Rica and China as far as our division of the corprate group goes, so I have run into many question lately.

I understand callout box would work, but I would prefer to use text fields. Callout boxes are not as easy to align as text fields and I do not see the ability to set justification other than Right - Center - Left.

And another thing, why do snaps not function when selecting handles on text callout boxes? I can select the handle, but I can't then highlight a line and snap to end by pressing 'E'?

Gary

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

They are trying to keep think simple. Think old chool release 10 AutoCAD.

They want to click on the text, and edit it rather than use data and annotation. Much simpler to train student work force to do. Now what does it take to use that text in another location? I think that's the real question.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the main difference from text box to callout text is IMHO that a callout only has one text property for the complete text where a textbox can be formatted different for every single character if wanted.

I think, that normally within a technical drawing text more or less is a simple formatted text and not a word like text processing issue.

And there is the big advantage for callout text that it can refer to document properties of draft and part

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

We don't have any text boxes on our drawing borders - all callouts so we can use property text either from model or drawing wherever we need to.

Drawing number is Filename with no extension. This does cause us a small problem though because we can't then have the revision as part of the file name. The benefit is if someone copies the drawing for a new job the number always gets updated.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.