Can help be downloaded?

Phenom
Phenom

Most of the time, I'm not able to access the on line help (I get an error)

Is there a way to download that help file and use it off line? The off-line help is about useless.

13 REPLIES

Re: Can help be downloaded?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGE 

You can turn OFF the internet version of "HELP" in Solid Edge Options > Helpers.

SE_ST7_SEOptions_Helpers_HelpSystem.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There was a problem yesterday with Siemens' server that was hosting the Help.  This has since been fixed...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Phenom
Phenom

A competing product 'Inventor' has this feature is what I guess 12GAGE seems to be asking, in that the online help can be downloaded with the entire HTML file structure and hierarchy and everything is stored locally on the computer. The help can be accessed offline and can be used ditto as the online version.

About 12-15 years back, when comparatively smaller websites existed with no Flash or CSS or advanced stuff like those, I remember people using hack tools like 'Download entire website' which neatly created an offline version by crawling the webpages and links, excluding any external links and stuff like that.

Today with so much advancement in server hardware and web technology, I don't think such an idea would be practical to implement or the download tools are still lying around, and more importantly if Siemens allows this at all.

Phenom
Phenom

I'm aware of the switch to turn on/off internet help. But here is the problem.

The non-internet help is about useless. Most of what I'm seeking in not there.

The internet help is decent, but it's flakey. Sometime it works, sometimes it does not, and most of the timewhen it does work, it is very slow to open (like a min, for each new page).

I just thought downloading it would be a good work around for all issues.

MLombard
Retired

It sounds like you have a lot of internet connection type problems. Is any of this possibly due to your local connection?

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Phenom
Phenom

It's because of our poor service provider. I'm in a remote location where only a single land line provider is available. They charge tons for bad service.

In general, there is nothing I can do about my connection speed. I just have to do what I can to avoid it being an issue. 

As a result, this thread. If I could download the on-line help, this issue would go away.

Creator
Creator

@SeanCresswell 

Well, I would have liked to uncheck

"Use my web browser to display help..."

But the box is greyed and unavailable...

What do I have to do to be able to only use local help file?

thanks

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

denisg wrote: 

Well, I would have liked to uncheck "Use my web browser to display help..."

But the box is greyed and unavailable...What do I have to do to be able to only use local help file?

thanks

Hi there, 

That's puzzling, I'm not sure why it would'nt be available. [may be due to a faulty install, of that component]

Your other option is [if just wanting to use a different browser, for help] is to make a book mark of the online help site. I have my Chrome browser setup with the bookmark bar displayed.

Site link here... http://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/training/se/107/en_US/index.html#uid:index 

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Creator
Creator

thanks for your reply,

but sometime I have problems with my internet access, so

I would prefer to have it local!

Any one knows how to figure how to make it available local?

thanks