Can someone explain why I can't make this pattern work? (ST6)

I can't figure out what is going on here?  I have an assembly with a bolt pattern, and SE seems to see the pattern no problem (when I highlight it everything looks good) but the last step (select reference position) always screws up the pattern???

The counterbore in the upper right is the feature that is patterened.

6 REPLIES

Re: Can someone explain why I can't make this pattern work? (ST6)

try this.

pick bolt,

pattern command

any hole in the pattern

then pick the hole the bolt is in for the last step.

what does that produce?

It won't allow me to pick the hole that the bolt is in.  That seemed to make the most sense to me, but the only option for the last step is to pick one of the holes in the pattern and I've tried every one and get a nonsensical result (bolts in space).

assure that your bolt is placed in the master instance of the hole feature from your part.

not one of the holes which is part of the pattern.

then see if it patterns?

there used to be a bug like this..  but had since been fixed

Yeah, it is.  Maybe it's not fixed in the version we are using - unfortunately my organization is really slow to move to new versions of the software, so it may be ages before it gets done.

The frustrating this is that it seems to be intermittent, sometimes I have no problems with patterning and sometimes it just won't seem to work.

ok so assureing the bolt is in the master occurance fixed your issue?

IF so try to just get the hightest MP for ST6 and see if that fixes it.  im pretty sure it was fixed in an ST6 MP.

Click the hole where the bolt is, even if it doesn't highlight it usually works.

I think it is a video card problem to not hilight it in some situation.

It happens some times in my config too.