Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can sync sheet metal save me?

Creator
Creator

I have encountered this corner "crispiness" (segmentation) with creating mitered 2-bend corners. (of course with circular and u-shaped ones). No issues with using "closed/open" or creating chamfers the way I showed in the video. We have punch/laser combo so this is not issue for us. If you can, attach one of your original SE files that have the "crispiness" problem (before your fix!) so I can play with it.

>>12GAGE wrote:

>>Attached is my current ER list that I spent about 8 hours goving over with GTAC. I hope to have a meeting with Gan (Head sheet metal programmmer for SE) within the next few weeks..<<

You are right at the source! They use and own Parasolid kernel :-)

If they cannot help, little could be done from SE users standpoint!

Mijo

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I attached a very simple case here. This one has to do with the flange sides.

I will also attach a door that I have to use two flat patterns for. Imic did show me a work around for the door, but I have never had the time to make the move to Sync, ST8, or work out the language gap. I have to deliver about 4 sheet metal box's each day. I expect his work around to have very non-crisp edges.

My gage table is attached in case you want to use to to load the files easier.

3 way corners have the same problems as the flange edge. The results are not 2 line with a tangent arc between for the hole corner. And that is just the start of it. Thing get worse as the designs get more complicated. I'm tryin to get to the bottom of things, step by step.

Long term goals include being able to change gages and overall size of sheet metal box's in general. I have accomplished this when there are no 3 way corners or chamfered flanges. As soon at those two featres are required, I'm in hell.

Creator
Creator

Would the attached work in your workflow? 100% done in SYNC. Exported DXF shows two entities that are at the same angle, coincident! Your punch program should not have issue with it!? Since, I had your design for dimensions, it took me 15 minutes! If your designs are symmetric, you would need to design only one corner! (1/4 of the box) 

Mijo

Creator
Creator

Forgot to correct inside radiuses! 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thank you very much for your efforts. Right now I'm backed up at work moving around and renaming my first 500 static sheet metal parts since the company finally decided on some naming and numbering schemes. Then I can get back to working on the re-sizable model that reference the static parts where this stuff falls. Once I get a designed settled in, I draft it including a long process of using variables and dimensions to create back gages and stick outs for every bend. Then the model can be seized, and the draft including bend tables that include back gage can be updated very quickly.

I'm a one man show with 30 steel fabricators working from my drawings for mainly custom projects.

By far, my most time consuming issue is getting corners to work out when flanges have angles and 3 way corners have holes. The 3 way corners don't have a work around like the flanges do.