Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Change Inter-Part Parent!

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Experts,

I have a program limitation/bug in which I hope you can help me solve.  My situation is as follows:  I created a pack and go to clone a large assembly.  In this assembly, I have hundreds of tubes which I would like to update automatically to their new positions.  Unfortunately, when a pack and go clones an assembly, all the inter-parts children all point to the original assembly.  Pack and go doesn't update the new assembly with the new inter-part link folder positions.  That causes the tubes not to update in the new assembly.  Because these parts are "out of context" with the new assembly, I have to individually delete each tube and rename it, creating weeks/months of work on my end which shouldn't exist.

I have scoured every SE forum and help video I could find to no avail.  I have found an indication that a previous version of design manager called "revision manager" can re-define inter-part links but haven't found any way to install it.

2 REPLIES

Re: Can't Change Inter-Part Parent!

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Design Manager should be capable of anything Revision Manager could do. Although it might be easier to use D Man rather than pack and go to copy specific assemblies and parts to new names and possibly paths while leaving everything else in place which would then contain links to both versions.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Can't Change Inter-Part Parent!

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Why did you not use the Design Manager Assistant?  In there you choose the Save As action and follow the prompts.  Easy!