Can't Edit An Imported Part?

When I import a STEP file, I am unable to use the any of the material removal methods in the Home Tab. The part is listed in my path as "Part Copy 1" as opposed to a Design Body, however the icon is different from the normal blue block with a yellow chain. How can I change this such that I can remove material from my part? On a side note, if I try and save a copy as a STEP file, I get an error message that says "This model contains no bodies. An output file will not be generated."

8 REPLIES

Re: Can't Edit An Imported Part?

you only have a surface body,  not a solid.  without seeing the geometry we can only guess,

Try:

import with heal and stich turned on

stitch all surfaces

create surfaces as needed and then stich

if you can share the native file we can offer some additional help

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

There probably is no body as the system says. Hence nothing to remove. You showed the menus but you didn't show a picture of what you see on the screen.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Here's the Link Address as well. How do I go about implementing those features you mentioned?

Here's the link address as well, how do I go about implementing your recommendations?

[ Edited ]

Hi there @reyno,

That part is not a closed set of surfaces, so is not a solid model......there are a row of openings [see image - green "Non-Stitched Edges"] that need to be fixed with the surfacing tools.

Are you familiar with the process to fix this?

2017-06-22.png

EDIT: attached fixed ST9 file.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thank you! I don't know the process for fixing it, how is it done?

@reyno,

Each file will be different, but here is what I did in the case of your file......

With the part file open/imported...go to the Surfacing tab, in the Modify Surfaces group run the "Show Non-Stitched Surfaces" command.....fence select the entire model [without view perspective on] to identify any open areas of the model.

With the error located, you need to decide how you want to close the "hole[s]", in this case, I used "Delete Face" to remove the small "hood" part [could've left it there also] then ran the "Bounded Surface" command.

Once all holes are patched, run the "Stitched" command to join it all up, at which point the system will advise it has produced a solid model. Sometimes you may need to also run the "Optimise" command, found on the Inspect tab, in the Evaluate group.

Command finder [at the lower right of the graphics window] is often the best way to locate those least used commands.

HTH.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

So in order to understand the process and hopefully learn something I opened both the stp files and they came in as solid bodies. What am I doing "wrong"?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200