Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Edit An Imported Part?

Creator
Creator

When I import a STEP file, I am unable to use the any of the material removal methods in the Home Tab. The part is listed in my path as "Part Copy 1" as opposed to a Design Body, however the icon is different from the normal blue block with a yellow chain. How can I change this such that I can remove material from my part? On a side note, if I try and save a copy as a STEP file, I get an error message that says "This model contains no bodies. An output file will not be generated."

8 REPLIES

Re: Can't Edit An Imported Part?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

you only have a surface body,  not a solid.  without seeing the geometry we can only guess,

Try:

import with heal and stich turned on

stitch all surfaces

create surfaces as needed and then stich

if you can share the native file we can offer some additional help

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

There probably is no body as the system says. Hence nothing to remove. You showed the menus but you didn't show a picture of what you see on the screen.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator

Here's the Link Address as well. How do I go about implementing those features you mentioned?

Creator
Creator

Here's the link address as well, how do I go about implementing your recommendations?

Hi there @reyno,

That part is not a closed set of surfaces, so is not a solid model......there are a row of openings [see image - green "Non-Stitched Edges"] that need to be fixed with the surfacing tools.

Are you familiar with the process to fix this?

2017-06-22.png

EDIT: attached fixed ST9 file.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

Creator
Creator

Thank you! I don't know the process for fixing it, how is it done?

@reyno,

Each file will be different, but here is what I did in the case of your file......

With the part file open/imported...go to the Surfacing tab, in the Modify Surfaces group run the "Show Non-Stitched Surfaces" command.....fence select the entire model [without view perspective on] to identify any open areas of the model.

With the error located, you need to decide how you want to close the "hole[s]", in this case, I used "Delete Face" to remove the small "hood" part [could've left it there also] then ran the "Bounded Surface" command.

Once all holes are patched, run the "Stitched" command to join it all up, at which point the system will advise it has produced a solid model. Sometimes you may need to also run the "Optimise" command, found on the Inspect tab, in the Evaluate group.

Command finder [at the lower right of the graphics window] is often the best way to locate those least used commands.

HTH.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

So in order to understand the process and hopefully learn something I opened both the stp files and they came in as solid bodies. What am I doing "wrong"?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200