Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access an embedded excel

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have embedded excel documents in some of my drafts.  Normally, there is no issue with opening the excel documents by double clicking them, but sometimes i get an error message that says

"Solid Edge ST9 cannot edit the object"

When I get that error I can no longer edit the excel even if I close and reopen Solid Edge.  I am uncertain what causes the error so I don't know how to fix it.  Do you have any ideas as to what the reason for this error is? Thank you

11 REPLIES

Re: Can't access an embedded excel

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Cabinet_Guy,

Might be further helpful to understand you file system infrastructure a little.....like, is the file local, or on a network [Server, NAS, PC w/shared folders, Dropbox], etc?

Also.....could it be a new/different PC, and does not have Excel installed??

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP2] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Pioneer
Pioneer

They are stored on a server and the problem occurs  on several computers. 

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If it's embedded it's not external to the draft. Or likely I'm being thick and you're referring to the drafts. If so, never mind. But each station does need access to Excel.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

correct.  It is in the draft.  I have my options set to open in native program when i double click.  That is what I meant when I said I open the excel.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have seen the error message displayed when trying to open an embedded Excel file if Excel is already open and in that file a cell is highlighted.

I have also had to click on the Excel file multiple times when the condition above is not present, sometimes up to 4 times, then it opens.

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

Phenom
Phenom

Agree with Gary, I have seen this occur with Excel just running Excel sometimes. If you are actively in a cell editing it, Excel can have problems opening another spreadsheet. This might be the issue you are seeing since it is a bit sporadic. 

Pioneer
Pioneer

i just tested out Gary's suggestion and he is right.  I'll see if that fixes my problem.  Thanks guys.

Pioneer
Pioneer

No sooner than I reply that someone fixed my problem I get the problem again.  This time with more errors.

I am getting an error saying "Error accissing file. Network connection may have been lost".  Then it repeats that error.  Then it says "Solid Edge ST9 cannot edit the object".  I am still connected to my network.  Also I closed excel and this error is still occuring. 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The integration of Excel and SE is flaky.

I crash about 10 times a week on average, all because of the way SE and excel work together.

98% of my crashes are because I edit the gage of a part and excel is open at the same time. But when it happens is hit or miss. Most of the time it's because I use a gage of materail that has not been used before or for a long time.