Can't edit features in a synchronous part

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I imported the sheet metal part in question from my old CAD system (Cadkey 99).  I have been able to successfully modify the part using a mix of synchronous and ordered operations.  Today, I decided I would go fully synchronous with the part.  In ordered, I had stretched and moved some of the cuotuts using the move faces commands.  I moved all the ordered features (except move faces - they won't transfer) to syncrhonous and now I can't replicate the same modifications.  SE gives me an error message and as usual it's cryptic and despite trying to find the errors it still fails.  I even translated the part out to parasolid, brought it back in and still have errors.  Geometry inspector finds no problems (??!!!).  I'm attaching the file to see if anyone has suggestions.  The attached file was imported from parasolid.  Try moving some of the holes around and try stretching or moving some of cutouts.

Synchronous error.JPG

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
15 REPLIES

Re: Can't edit features in a synchronous part

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Kyle

No idea what is going on but you can box select the whole part, hit Move-Copy button and create a new instance.  Delete the original and the new copy should work as expected.

PLM World Member Phenom

Great Tip!

I think another problem was that I did not select the side walls of the large cutout on the right when stretching it down.  I had to pick the side walls of the cutout above the small tabs in the cutout in addition to the other faces.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

I wonder why move copy works vs the original part?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kyle

Yea, I also would really like to know what the problem was here as it can be incredibly frustrating when this happens.  Would be great if someone from Siemens could give us some insight.

Roger

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I couldn't get it to flatten after doing the copy trick. Can you guys?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom

Bruce,

Good catch.  I can't either - flatten is grayed out.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
If you toggle the construction body to a solid it will Save as Flat to
dxf just fine but for some reason won't flatten the solid. (I think I
adjusted some touching edges).

PLM World Member Phenom

This is very strange.  Another reason why I stay away from synchronous most of the time.  When it doesn't work, you get very little guidance from SE on why and how to fix it.

I'm glad this is just a copy.  It makes no sense why I can be in ordered, use move faces command to get what I want, but synchronous fails at what should be a simple task.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Anyway, the copy maneuver was pretty slick. At least it worked better afterwards (except for flattening). At least the dxf was good.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200