Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install solid edge 2d

Not applicable

I have a student license for solid edge st4. I was curious about solid edge 2d since it is a free download. Once I got it downloaded and started to install it. A message came up stating that a version of solid edge was already installed on my computer, and would have to be uninstalled to install solid edge 2d. Has anyone had this problem and can they help me with it.

5 REPLIES

Re: Can't install solid edge 2d

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor
Hi there,
This is consistant across the board....specifically designed to allow only ONE instance of the software to be installed at a time.
Your Student Edition is already more powerful than the 2D only product, as it includes this also....but if "2D" is all you require, then you would need to uninstall the other, first.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

Not applicable
I too can't install solid edge 2d

I have a student license for solid edge st4. I was curious about solid edge 2d since it is a free download. I am having trouble downloading and getting it installed. Has anyone had this problem and can they help me with it.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor
Hi Carl,
Not sure why you're having trouble downloading (maybe you need to use a download manager...there are other discussions in this newsgroup) the Solid Edge 2Dfree application...but in the end, you would need to uninstall any existing Solid Edge software that is already on the system, or install 2Dfree on a different computer, as they can not reside on the same PC.

Sean Cresswell
Streetscape Limited (NZ)
-
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy NoteII using Tapatalk 2.
-
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
Carl,
In addition to what Sean said, you should keep in mind that Solid Edge
2D is the same as the 2D environment found in Solid Edge. If you have
Solid Edge ST4 loaded, you have everything Solid Edge 2D offers.
Jason Inglis
The Charles Machine Works, Inc.
Ditch Witch
Perry, Oklahoma
On 6/8/2013 2:37 PM, SeanCresswell wrote:
>
> Hi Carl,
>
> Not sure why you're having trouble downloading (maybe you need to use a
> download manager...there are other discussions in this newsgroup) the
> Solid Edge 2Dfree application...but in the end, you would need to
> uninstall any existing Solid Edge software that is already on the
> system, or install 2Dfree on a different computer, as they can not
> reside on the same PC.
>
>
>
> Sean Cresswell
> Streetscape Limited (NZ)
> -
> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy NoteII using Tapatalk 2.
> -
>
>

Not applicable
I recently had the same issue. If I may try to explain, at least my reason, for wanting to install the 2D drafting program is because it is free and has no restrictions on the file. With the student edition of SolidEdge 3D there is a restriction on the file that prevents it from being used or open with the commercial version. I think that is a GOOD thing too because it allows for a truly unrestricted student version to be available without creating issues around commercial sales and support.

For my purposes I wanted to use the 2D drafting program to make simple models for jigs or mockups that don't need the features with the full blown 3D cad system. I also want to be able to share those 2D models online or on various forums I may be participating in like woodworking or 3d printing.