Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't select plane in assembly for mating

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

i think i see what is going on...

the 1st plane you pick is the WCS not the sub assy plane...

the 2nd plane you are wanting to select is NOT being shown to you and thus you can not pick it.

I assume you have reduced stepped turned on and thus you can not expose the plane...

With reduced steps SE assume the Parts based on the faces selected.

With Reduce steps OFF  you pick the part - face - part - face

with this work flow you can toggel on the panes for the part...

see video here: http://screencast.com/t/TzOqZCVe2mz

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
SE2019 Pre-Production Testing
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Builder
Builder

Thanks for your feedback. Can't upload these files sorry, too much proprietary information involved. 

Hopefully this video is more clear:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5xx8CbjJsQoai03TEppRDAwOUk

I am turning on reference planes, trying to mate with them in the what I will call "bad assembly" and it won't let me select anything on the parts except for the faces. 

Throw the same part in a brand new assembly, turn on reference planes and I can select them immediately. So bizzare, never seen Solid Edge do this.

Builder
Builder
Wolfgang,

Assembly/mating with reference planes for most cases is ideal. We design parts around the origin to facilitate using features such as mirroring, or to align parts along the same planes. If you align parts with dimensions and you make changes most of the time you have to go update the values you gave for those offsets. Not to mention it's the most precise way to make sure say a thermostat is centered on a wall panel if you use the same center plane. If you can, and you align with planes everything will usually adjust automatically. I know in real life the parts you use or with manufacturing drawings you rarely dimension to the center of the cutout or part, except for perhaps hole locations, but that's for the CAD drawing/layout, not for parametric modeling.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

everybody as he like and if You prefer plance than no question.

But for the goal of a centered part I prefer to use the centered relation available in asm.

regards
Wolfgang

Builder
Builder

Any ideas? My only out now is to re-create this sub-assembly from scratch. Is there a good way to get support directly from SE On issues like this? Thanks.

Hi @CADCAM16,

what I personally would like to suggest is, to tunr off the "reduced steps".

When we started with Solid Edge at 1995 there were no reduced steps available and so we always used it without them.

OK, there are 2 mouse clicks more to click but therefore YOu can were precisely select what and which additional object might be seen and selected.

There is no need to first unblank all the reference planes to use them, YOu can use them on the fly with auto-blank afterwards.

Maybe You give the oldfashioned method a try and will find it more usefull then the faster but therefore more complex "reduce step" method.

regards
Wolfgang

Builder
Builder

Thanks for your feedback but I was looking for a solution to the issue with not being to select the reference planes for mating, which doesn't seem to be affected with the 'reduced steps" feature on or off. I will just have to remodel the entire assembly from scratch.

Hi,

I think You have already seen this other thread regarding the plane issue in assemblies:

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/ST9-Can-t-select-reference-planes-in...

But here is the link, to be on the save side

regards
Wolfgang

Builder
Builder

Wolfgang, you're a life-saver! I was on hold with my reseller and read your post before tech support got on and this worked.

With perspective on you can't select reference planes, who would have known! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hi @CADCAM16

wellcome!

regards
Wolfgang