Can't undo operations?

Builder
Builder

Today I did an extrude option and realized I had made a mistake, after saving the file. When I went to undo, the command was not available. (Windows error chime.)

Is there any way to avoid this in the future?

12 REPLIES

Luke,   Unfortunately once you SAVE in Solid Edge you loo...

Phenom
Phenom

Luke,

Unfortunately once you SAVE in Solid Edge you loose all your "undo" capability. This has been a flaw in SE Developments thinking for years. Although I understand their logic, it does not take into account that there are times when this capability is still wanted. During the design phase we all make many features that just don't work out as planned, so going back while maintaining your undo capability is a very real need. Your example is a perfect scenario.

But when you are doing more elaborate design changes, you may make a dozen or so changes to a part. You are then faced with the tough decision if you save your work now, you'll loose this ability to go back.

So here's what I do. If I'm going to make major changes I first do a SAVE of the original. Then as I make my changes and then use the SAVE AS and change the name. The Original file stays as opened, so you can always get back to your starting point. This is really only good for when dramatically changing a parts design. The downside of this workflow is that you're left with a lot of different versions of one part that you don't need nor want in the end. So again for one or two changes it's a pain not having the Undo.

The requested SAVE while maintaining the "undo" file capability is still stuck on some User Enhancement Request list.    Let's hope Development is listening.

Bob

Re: Luke,   Unfortunately once you SAVE in Solid Edge you loo...

Builder
Builder
Bob, thank you for the post. It is how I feared.

Somewhat unrelated: I came from SolidWorks as an engineering student, one step below intermediate user. Smiley Happy

I switched to SolidEdge because our school has a free distribution license for all students, which means I can install it on any computer I choose without any issues or "borrowing" software.

I was apprehensive to make the switch. SolidWorks always flowed like water for me, and SolidEdge felt like hitting hundreds of small brick walls in a given day... that said, once the issue is solved, it's trivial and fast.

It's little things like this that knock SE down a notch for me every day. I find it so frustrating.

But the most frustrating part is when I do a Google search for an answer, SolidWorks answers come up and there is very little published 3rd party support.

I know everyone has their own uses but, poor undo command, can't export DXF faces with ease, no patterning in sketch, questionable logic for locking smart dimensions as non-driven, etc etc. I guess I just need to go back over the tutorials.

I want SolidEdge to be fantastic and for me is just barely acceptable.

I feel bad asking questions here as I go. The support on this tiny little forum has been OUTSTANDING but I don't want to clutter it with basic stuff.

Again thank you and I am sorry for the mini-rant. I have faith that some day I will look back on all this and say to myself "I'm glad I stuck with SE."

Phenom
Phenom
"Again thank you and I am sorry for the mini-rant"

Permalink,

Don't worry about ranting. The Solid Edge Development group needs to hear your gripes. These little annoyances are just that. They aren't really show stoppers, but do make your day a bit frustrating. The one thing I'll say about Solid Edge however is they don't suffer from the BIG frustrations, like crashes and broken commands. So SE Development is dedicated and spends most of their time focused on bulletproof software, so unfortunately little things like this go unfixed.

So keep the questions coming... you'll find that this community will do better then any Google search will get you. Again SE Development is watching these post carefully, so the more you let them see what works and doesn't work for you, the better for all of us.

And I promise you you'll "look back" on these days with a smile when you're helping other new users through the learning curve.

Bob

Builder
Builder
I will agree with you (for the most part) about stability. SolidWorks could crash 10 times in a given day of modeling for me.

That said, yesterday I had finished 3 hours of work in SolidEdge. I was extruding some patterned features, and brought it above a certain plane (by mistake). SolidEdge crashed, and offered to save my file at the time. When I opted into doing so, I was greeted upon restarting SE with no model. All my features were listed on the list on the left, my sketches still existed, but it seemed that all dimensions for each operation performed were completely gone, and I had no way to reconstruct it with my knowledge... So I had to start all over again. That was extremely frustrating, as it corrupted the original file instead of just going back to my previous save (which was, perhaps one or two operations away from where I was at the time of the crash).

Growing up with computers (born 1988) I could never understand why software developers didn't have a built in saving system that would save multiple iterations every minute or so. Makes no sense at all. This is trivial programming.

Thanks again for the help, Bob
Luke

MLombard
Retired
"I could never understand why software developers didn't have a built in saving system that would save multiple iterations every minute or so. Makes no sense at all. This is trivial programming."

This does exist in Solid Edge. If you click the App icon (upper left), then Solid Edge Options at the bottom, and go to Save, there are options for automatically saving documents, along with backups. Many people turn this off because of the performance hit. Most people find a quick Ctrl-S every few minutes gives you more control over when the save happens.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Phenom
Phenom
Matt,

Yes but the biggest problem with automating the SAVE is that it erases ALL of the undo's as well. So of course it always does a save just before you need to go back. This is especially annoying with Sync since many of the new features get blended into the part and can't be deleted.

SE Development needs to fix this. And now that new users such as Luke are finding the few lingering annoyances, hopefully it'll get attention.

Bob

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend
Luke,

Please don't feel bad about any sort of Rants... mini or not.
There is great value in all users asking questions AND posting answers.
Even advanced users can gain knowledge from new users.
We get stuck in our ways and either forget elementary functions and/or never adapt new functionality.
Your inputs are of value.
Welcome to the community!
Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

Builder
Builder
Thanks again all, you have been quite helpful. Look forward to more questions in the future... haha Smiley Happy

second

Creator
Creator

Hi, I've recently run into this same issue. I assume there is still no work-around, but a solution is desperately needed. Even opening a block and closing it, making no changes, clears the undo cache. Please, there has to be some way to change this behavior. I'll learn to script, if I need to. There are times where the model updates, with unexpected results, beyond repair, when one or two levels undone would replace hours of work.

It seems like the clearing of the cache is an intentional design "feature," but has anyone ever been glad they can't undo something?  Saving a model to any file, same name or otherwise, shouldn't effect any aspect of the model or program, except the "project has not been saved in x minutes" dialog, but that seems to be the only thing that doesnt care. As long as a file is open, it should, essentially, be a unique instance, when saved, a file is written, somewhere, open document stays uneffected, rather than overwriting the current running code, which seems like the only reason the undo cache is cleared.

no real questions here, just needed to vent to someone who might actually be able to do something about it.... Thanks.

-Peter