Can't upload video

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Edgers,

because the necessity of uploading a video to my latest article I have seen, that - for approx. 1 to 2 month it is not possible to upload a video directly using the given interface.

I remeber, that last year it was possible to upload a viedo in the same way as a picture.

OK, now it is necessary to first upload the video to the personal galery.

But there always come an error message claiming something like an overall error or so.

This is the reason why I zipped the videos and upload them as normal attachment rather then a video.

Can anybody confirm, explain or give me a hint what doing bette?

regards
Wolfgang
13 REPLIES

Re: Can't upload video

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

How many videos are in your "my videos" list in your profile? Maybe that's the problem. If you have too many, like 25 or so, you can no longer upload in the normal way. If this is the case delete some. I had this problem a couple of months ago and Siemens is aware of it.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

I too have experienced this issue over the past few months and thought they are making some changes to the forum, under the hood, and without notice.

I have a GMail account and send the videos to the linked Youtube channel and link back to the forum which works quite well.

Several times I have found uploading even small images takes ages even when the internet connection is very fast and I had to resort to attaching them to a post which does not appear good.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @bshand

just deleted all my old video files and  - wow - the standard video upload works fine again!

Great and Thanks

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@bshand

Will deleting videos not affect your previous answers ?

I believe the videos from your profile are still linked to previous posts and if someone is opening those, the videos/images will be gone. I have seen this, especially in Sean's messages.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Tushar wrote:

@bshand

Will deleting videos not affect your previous answers ?

I believe the videos from your profile are still linked to previous posts and if someone is opening those, the videos/images will be gone. I have seen this, especially in Sean's messages.

Yes, as @Tushar says, that happened to me, while I thought I was just doing some house keeping on my user profile......only to find that ALL the posts that had those images & video's in, then ONLY had an empty box with a red "X" in it's place. Not ideal.

It'd be much better if the graphical content was local to the thread, not thte users profile.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

@SeanCresswell sorry about pointing to your messages buddy Smiley Happy

Being the most prolific solution provider, your's are the most searched messages and hence it is hard not to escape the 404 images.

I also understand it would be very difficult - almost impossible - to restore those images back in the posts since they were created in the context and several SE version back.

So my approach is to store them to some external service like Google drive or YouTube with virtually unlimited capacity and link them back into the forum posts.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Tushar,

Uups, this now doesn't make me happy.

So deleting all my videos makes my old answers ....

And no there is no way of repairing this.

Maybe man have to consider Your solution using Youtube, etc.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@hawcad I feel a bit ashamed to admit that I have not yet found any online site to store images and 'display' them on the forum directly as in the case of a YouTube video. But I'd like to know of an easy way to achieve this.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I hadn't realized that problem either. I think the bottom line is that Siemens should fix this rather than the forum users.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200