Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we get the basics worked out before adding new features?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have been using SE for about four years now. I was expecting far greater improvements to the minor details and bugs over the last four years than expected. Started on ST6 now on ST9.

They keep focusing on adding new features rather than fixing the problems with the existing ones.

I don't want to turn this into an added feature request or pet peave thread. Just a general support to stop adding new features until the existing one are working smooth.

I will give one simple example. Let's say you are adding bend from existing sketch bend lines. After using a single selection, the second use should default to single selection rather than multiple. There are many examples of things like this that add extra uneeded clicks.

Also in general, there are way to many bugs each new release. Agaim I would venture to guess this is because new features are being added.

Make the stuff you have more usable.

I will caviot one thing from my perspective. Sheet metal does need to improve on 2 way and 3 way  corners so that currently imposible sheet metal becomes possible.......  My company makes 100's of different parts that are imposible to make using the sheet metal design as it works now. My job is to document what we make.

7 REPLIES

Betreff: Can we get the basics worked out before adding new features?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @12GAGE

but rearding to Your example:

Can You imagine that there are other users whi just want it the other way round.

I think the problem with any software is, taht You never will find 2 people who want exactly the same functionality and user interface.

I believe it always wil be a compromise to what the user group want rather thane what a single user like to have.

This does not mean that Your request is wrong, but I think if they try to fullfill everybodies whishes we never ever will enhance the current software level.

And this IMHO would be the worst scenario to me.

So I can't agree to Your request stopping development and fixing existing software before bringing new functions.

I think there are many new features and function many of us will need really urgent and bett yesterday than today or tomorrow.

But again it always will be a matter of personal interest.

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

This notes for me the importance of the Round Tables at SEU!!!

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

"Can You imagine that there are other users whi just want it the other way round."

If you are talking about new tools vs. working out exiting tools. That's the way it is now for the most part.

If you are talking wanting menu choices to stick for next use, I can't imagine anybody not wanting that.

Phenom
Phenom

@12GAGE wrote:

"Can You imagine that there are other users whi just want it the other way round."

If you are talking about new tools vs. working out exiting tools. That's the way it is now for the most part.

If you are talking wanting menu choices to stick for next use, I can't imagine anybody not wanting that.

I'm pretty sure that with ST10 having tool options to default to last used was introduced, maybe not ALL commands, but it has been a step toward that direction.

-Craig

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I don't want that.

I'm very accostomed to what the toolbars look like with the default icons in place.  If the icons change based on the tool I last used, then I can never seem to find the one I'm looking for.

This is one of the rare cases where saving one mouse click is not a productivity enhancement.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Solid Edge Options -> Helpers -> Last used command (in droplists) stays on top

By default it is set to Off.

http://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/110/se_help/#uid:index#goto:customize_solid_edge:help...

Re: Can we get the basics worked out before adding new features?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Well for me, after 17 years of Solid Edging, I can say, we absolutely get both those situations with new releases, and incrementally along the way. Do you read through the Maintenance Patch enhancements/fixes they list in the read me, or [since this community site went live] as @JFred lists them, when notified of MP release on this forum?

Sure, not all things get done, but progress is clearly visible.......and second what @Johnson_BigMatt says about the value of the round table meetings at an SEU event & some Siemens staff sessions, entered discussion afterward, to cater to enhancements and/or new functionality.

For me, if the "Basics" weren't "worked out", as they have, I would not have stuck with SE, as long.....some [most] frustrations are of my own doing, or the nature of my system & network infrastructure.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019