Can we zip part and assembly files so they can be emailed?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What is the best way to reduce files sizes so that they can be emailed? I thought could reduce part file size, by rolling back all the way to the top but that only reduces the file size by about 5%. Is there any other tricks to getting the file sizes down?

Regards

Peter

6 REPLIES

Re: Can we zip part and assembly files so they can be emailed?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Compressing is the only thing I know. Or ask the recipient if they have an FTP site you could use.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I would only ask why email in 2016? Dropbox is much easier for this kind of thing. Even the free account should give you plenty of space to connect with your end client.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That's true. Even though I use cloud storage for personal stuff I hadn't considered it for work related stuff.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
My only excuse for still using email is that I am a dinosaur. Dropbox does make more sense!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yea, and it get's around trying to e-mail files that some e-mail servers strip out like DLL's or EXE's.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Yes, rolling back features is an old trick that can still be used to reduce part file size.

Take any part from the Training folder and the part file can be reduced easily by 30 to 40%

I created the Feature Toggler macro solely for this purpose.

Further you can use the Pack-n-Go program to zip up a set of part files or all files of an assembly at once.

Both programs can be downloaded from here.

~Tushar