Cannot Connect to Edges/Keypoints in Family of Assembly

Genius
Genius

We are making a weldment where we want to show the welded configuration and the machined configuration.  What we are finding is that once we turn the assembly into a FOA and make either a sketch or feature (such as a hole) that we cannot connect to any edges or keypoints of any of the parts while in "sketch mode".  I know recently @swertel said he makes a point not to use assembly features in FOA.  In the past, we'd use the old .pwd templates.  How else would we show a weldment with the weld in the fabrication stage and then separately show the machining (preferrably with the welds hidden for clarity).  I was surprised when we placed a hole in one of the members that we could not set relationships or dimension for it from the edges of the part.  

Here is what I did.  Make an assembly and drop a part in.  If you make a sketch or add a hole as an assembly feature, when adding dimensions or lines you can select keypoints of the part that was inserted.  However, turn the assembly into a family or assemblies and now try to do the same thing.  The edges are not available to select in a sketch.

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP
3 REPLIES

Re: Cannot Connect to Edges/Keypoints in Family of Assembly

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You could use the Insert Assembly Copy in a blank assy file for your "As Machined" version.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Genius
Genius

@Grundey Didn't think of that.  Would definitely work as a workaround.  Anyone know if this has always been the case with FOA?  I'm hoping it's a bug that can be fixed.

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP

Phenom
Phenom

A couple of things -

You have Peer locate on ?

Do you really need FOA to do this - in draft you have options to show/hide assembly features.

Would that work?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.