Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Get Thread to Form Correctly?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am manually modeling a thread for a part I need to 3D print. The cylinder that needs to be 0.155 inch long, and it has a diameter of 0.19 because the thread is a #10-32 UNF 2A which requires a 0.19 inch diameter. I have drawn the thread and whenever I try to do a helix cutout I receive the message, "The requested modification cannot be completed due to relationships place on the model. Unlock dimensions, delete relationships, or adjsut Design Intent settings to complete the modification." None of my dimensions are locked, I haven't done anything special to the settings so I am not sure why this is not working. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks in advance. Picture is attached. 

30 REPLIES

Betreff: Cannot Get Thread to Form Correctly?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @OliviaK

suppose that to be the same issue as in another post, isn't it?

So please provide the part file to see what's going on.

Just now I can say, that I never would integrate the radii into the profile of helix cutout.

This finally will result somewhere in a non-manifold situation, what is not handled by SE.

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

It is another issue in another post. I have included the part file. It also will not let me delete the cutout or the cylinder when this occurs. Thanks in advance. 

Hi @OliviaK

OK, it is our failure, to not having ask YOu wether YOu are working in synchronous or ordered.

And this feature I   - at the moment - never ever would create as sync feature.

This is the case of a clear oredered one.

A sync feature does not have any relation/connection to the original sketches/profiles so You never will have the chance to modify this profile ever.

And You also have added the rounds/fillets to the profile, so that this also can not be selected anymore.

So my best advice here is:

Just start new and do this as ordered part, although I'm a fan of sync, but sync must fit to the requests and features.

regards
Wolfgang

There really should be a list of the recommended environment, ordered or sync, for features like this which are problematic instead of having users waste hours discovering it for themselves.

Where is this list, Siemens?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @OliviaK

see example with Your thread modeled as ordered part

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @bshand

of course tha could be recommentations, but everybody will handle this different.

And TBH I believe this is an old rule, that all features based on their sketch-profiles better wil be modeled as ordered.

Otherwise You never ever willl have the possibility to come back to those profile for any modification.

And a helix cutout from its definition is a grandious example for an always ordered feature, isn't it?

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you for your help. The file I sent was me practicing how to manuallly thread for my project file I am currently working on. The project file is completely done in synchronus and the last step I need is to manually thread the piece of the part. Will I be able to switch my project file to ordered, thread this piece of the part, and then convert back to synchronous, or am I unable to do this? I would rather not have to restart my entire project just because of this one thread. If I have to though, I will. 

@hawcad wrote:

And a helix cutout from its definition is a grandious example for an always ordered feature, isn't it?

I don't know, I don't model helixes. That's not my point. It's more than helixes. I'm saying recommendations and guidelines would be a good thing. Especially for users new to SE or new to sync who haven't suffered the frustration wasting time trying to get things to work in the less optimal mode.

Bruce Shand

@OliviaK

Sync and ordered parts are mutually compatible. And you can have both in one part.

Bruce Shand