I recently downloaded the free years trial for solid edge, but when I installed it I forgot to link to the license file. After the installation I couldn't find a way to link to the license so I thought i'd just un-install it and run the download again. However when I ran it again it said there was already a version of solid edge installed which would have to be removed before it could continue, even though I had already uninstalled it. There is no trace of solid edge left on my computer that I can find, yet the install wizard obviously feels differently.
I subsequently got a copy of solid edge from my University on a disk, but I have the same problem trying to install that. A few forums online have recommended a program called advanced pc tweaker and i gave that a go, but it still didn't work.
Sounds like the unistall was incomplete and left entries in your registry. Try the following:
1. Make sure UAC (User Account Control) is turned all the way down. Find it by going to the Start button and type in UAC. Click “Change user account control settings”
2. Try to Uninstall Solid Edge (It may already be uninstalled from what you mentioned above)
3. Delete any Solid Edge folders you see in the Program Files and Program Files (X86) folders of Windows Explorer.
4. In the Registry Editor (regedit), look for and delete any Solid Edge registries found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Unigraphics Solutions. (Be Careful – only solid edge related ones)
5. While still in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software, expand the Wow6432Nodefolder and delete any Solid Edge related registries found under Unigraphics Solutions folder.
6. Reboot (very important step)
7. Reinstall Solid Edge
8. Run the license wizard and point to the text file from the email.