Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open DWG file i made

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I have been working with dwg file where I put a lot of my commonly used blocks and copy them over to drawing I need them for when I need them. Today when I tried to open this file I got the attached error message. I am sure I am the only one in my company to use this file, and no one in the company has anything above SE9.

Anyone have any advice?

Thank you.

8 REPLIES

Re: Cannot open DWG file i made

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @BVanger,

So a few questions..... the last part of the error message is the one point that sticks out to me though.

Has someone else locked the file?

What is the path you are trying to open the file with.....from Windows Explorer, or from Solid Edge?

Have you tried restarting your system, or even just Solid Edge?.....also, is the file located locally, on a server, a NAS, or shared folder on another PC?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP2] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have tried to access the file from both Windows explorer and Solidedge to avail. I have also tried re-starting my computer to no success.

It is possible the file was locked by someone else, but I find it extremely unlikely as it is on my personal folder on a shared server and I don't think anyone in the company knows the file exists. I have tried opening other files from the same folder without issues.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Could you try accessing it from another users PC, and see what happens?......other than that I'm fresh out of ideas, from afar. 

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP2] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yes, I will ask the IT manager to take a look at it. The company I work for is located in Italy, and I am their American engineer so I was hoping you could solve the issue today.

Thank you,

Brian

Phenom
Phenom

@BVanger I am just guessing, but it sounds like the file might have become corrupt. Someone else had a file on here a while back getting a similar message.

First, do you have a backup on the system you can go to? Second, you can file an IR and let GTAC have look at it. Perhaps they can repair it for you or at least tell you what happened.

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I do not know if there is a backup as i do not have direct access to the server. How do i file an IR?

Thank you,

Brian

Phenom
Phenom

@BVanger Assuming you have a webkey, you go here:

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/support/gtac/

Select "Create or update an incident report" and log in. Describe your problem and someone will get back to you. Once they give you the IR number you can upload the file.

Only issue is if your webkey will let you do it. I think I saw recently where someonecould access this forum, but did not have correct webkey to file a report.

HTH,

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@BVanger

To know if the file is locked or not you need to look at a lock symbol while opening the file with SOLID EDGE.

The lock symbol is a yellow color small lock

Here is the chart showing all the symbols you need to know.

Assembly PathFinder symbols.JPG