Cannot open any file when editing in place

Am I the only person that finds this a nuisance?  When I’m editing a part (or psm) in place from an assembly I cannot open another file until I close out of the in place edit.  It took me a while to figure it out why ctrl-o was not working sometimes.  Then I went to the painful SE menu button because I knew I had that model open recently only to find out it wouldn’t open; then noticed all of the recent files were greyed out.  Most of part editing I do is done in place from the parent assembly, so I run into this frequently.  I’ll be half way through an edit in a place where saving and backing out of the part is not ideal and I need to look at another model that I didn’t already have open.

I don’t understand how edit in place is implemented so I don’t know if this is expected behavior due to limitations of how the program is coded or if this is a bug that can be solved.  Or am I the only person that has this trouble due to some setting or setup config?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES

Re: Cannot open any file when editing in place

Keep in mind that when you Edit in Place, you can close and return to the assembly and can always "Revert" the edited part until you either save it or save the assembly it was edited from.  You can edit and return multiple times and then if you want to Revert it, edit the part again and then use the flyout button under the Close and Return button and select the Revert command.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

That Revert command is handy. I had not seen it before. Thank you.

Hi @Grundey

I'm working with Solid Edge such a long time, but this flyout was not recognized by me at all.

Of course it will not be necessary that much, but it allows to try several modification within a part, see what efffects it will have and then You can go back to the ASm without any changes.

Great to see, that also after 20 years there are certain secrets in our software worth to be discovered

regards
Wolfgang

If you havle already opened a part with edit in place you can also then select a different part from anywhere in the assembly tree and edit in place that part.

No need to close and return to the assembly first.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

@beachcomber, my understanding is that he wanted to keep the first edit in place going while either opening or editing in place another part. Not doable as the previous edit in place automatically closes. It would seem useful to be able to open another part from the pathfinder so while one is being edited in place another could be opened.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

@beachcomber,

Right you are, SE just closes the file for me and opens the other.

I was referring to opening other models that are not in the current assembly tree.  Which cannot be done when editing inplace.  I did just find out that if I have other files open and switch to one of those tabs I can can open another file.  Just seems strange.

edit:

@bshand

You are mostly correct.  If the part is in the current open assembly I can usually get what I need from the other parts.  This is a great feature , I can still take measurements (using inspect toolbar) of other parts in the assembly even when editing a sibling/cousin part.  So I don't have the need to be editing two parts in the assembly tree at the same time; honestly the thought of implenting that without concurency issues boggles me.  I would just like to open some other ref model that is not in the open assembly so I can get measurements.  I've learned that if I think I might need to reference another model I will open it up before starting inplace edits. 

[ Edited ]

@bnemec - I was just adding a little extra information that might be useful.

It is a bit of a pain not being able to open another unrelated file when editing in place, but I would then do that from Windows Explorer.

Another way round the problem is to use New and create a part - Open then becomes available.

@bshand - I have to agree, that would be useful.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.