Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot place downloaded part.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

I downloaded a coupling from the Swagelok site and saved it out as a Solid Edge part.  I added two holes to it to define the threads.  For some reason Solid Edge won't place the part in an assembly.  The following error message is thrown:

"The part cannot be placed.  Make sure it is not a Feature Library part."

Why would the part be thought to be a feature library part?  How can you tell other than by the error message and how would you convert it (other than by recreating it from scratch)?  According to SE help, a feature library member is a special type of part and typically does not have a base feature.  Well this one has a base feature!  It is called BodyFeature1.

A total time-wasting exercise acting to blow out the hours.

7 REPLIES

Re: Cannot place downloaded part.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @chrisstandring,

Are you able to share your modified part here?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP2] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

PLM World Member Legend

Hi @SeanCresswell, yes, with pleasure!

Cheers,

Chris

Well that is puzzling @chrisstandring, as it places in an assembly just fine into a new, or even an existing assembly.........which would point to likelihood of being a sequencing issue, pertinent to another aspect of your Assy file, computer system[s], or even network.

2017-12-11 (7).png

Sean Cresswell

PLM World Member Legend

Hi @SeanCresswell, just to make it even more random I opened that problem part and used the Assembly of Active Model command.  It worked as one might expect and I had an assembly with that part in it.  I was then able to assemble another instance of that part into it no problem.  I then closed and discarded that test assembly and tried placing that part into the original assembly I was working with - and it now can be placed like there was never a problem to begin with.  So now, at least, I have a fix if that problem crops up again (and this is not the first time it has happened).  It still does not explain why it happened in the first place and to be honest it is probably a bug.  I hope ST10 does not do that!

Highlighted

Well at least you can carry on with your day....albeit, as perplexed by this issue as you were. Robot Frustrated

Sean Cresswell

HI @chrisstandring

no problem either to place it here.

20171211_0824.PNG

So I suppose it has to do with Your ASM.

Have You run the "Assembly Relationship Manager" for checking any failed relation or so?

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

That message comes up when you have that part used in another assembly that is open from another instance of solid edge. 

The official policy is that there is no  support for more than one session of SE on the same computer even though it works. Just as long as you are not trying to open the same part as the other copy of SE.