Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot save assembly as .asm

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am working on a projekt and because Solig Edge ST9 was too slow I installed creo 3.0 to render a few parts. I'm not using these parts in Solid Edge but since then all my old and new assemblies turned into assembly configuration files that I can't open. If I save an assambly as .asm in Solid Edge it turnes into a .cfg.

How do I change that? They are far too small to contain anything (4kb).

7 REPLIES

Re: Cannot save assembly as .asm

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

@Student2

What is the concern ?

Solid Edge will create .CFG files to save what are called configurations or component Display States in Creo.

If you delete the CFGs you will not be able to use any configurations in Solid Edge.

Also avoid opening ASM or assembly files from the Windows Explorer.

Start Solid Edge first and press Ctrl+O to bring up the File Open dialog, then pick the ASM file to to open.

Experimenter
Experimenter

There are no .asm left. I can neither find the old ones nor create new ones. And the .CFG I can't open. 

Luckily the ols assemblyies weren't that complicated and I can just make them again.  I was hoping, there would be a setting, where solid egde saves new assemblies as .asm. 

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

That sounds scary.

It is not easy to simply lose assemblies after creation, you perhaps need to find them back.

I'd suggest using Everything - a program from https://www.voidtools.com/

and search for .asm files or using names you remember.

Have you checked the Recent Documents in Solid Edge ?

RecentDocsSE.png

Beyond this I cannot guess what might be happening on your computer.

Phenom
Phenom

Have they been saved without the .asm file type extenstion ?

You say you opened them in Creo - what file type extension does Creo use, as that can sometimes be a problem if the same as SE.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I didn't import anything to creo. I made one part in Creo that I saved as .stl so I can 3D-print it. Solid Edge wasn't able to make that part, the progam always crashed. That was friday afternoon. After that I went home and, as I don't word on mondays, I tried to continue work today, but all assemblies changed to .cfg

EDIT: I can open assemblies if I do it via recent Documents. But I can't do it by just opening them. 

Pioneer
Pioneer

We ran into a similar problem a while back when we tried running creo and solid edge on the same computer.

Since creo also uses .asm as their file extension it's recognizing that as the default software.

Perhaps try selecting 'Open with...'  or you may just end up having to run one program or the other.

We now have only a couple of users who have machines dedicated to creo.

JGUN

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Solid Edge uses the file extension .asm.

Creo uses the file extension .asm.

Whichever software is installed last will "own" the .asm file extension.

So when you look in Windows Explorer your previous Solid Edge .asm files are marked as Creo files.

When you double-click on these previous Solid Edge .asm files Creo will be launched and attempt to open these files… and fail in opening.

You will have to either use the Solid Edge File Open dialog or re-associate the .asm file type back to Solid Edge if Windows Explorer is your preferred method of opening.

If you choose to re-associate the .asm file extension back to Solid Edge , then when you next attempt to open what was an actual Creo .asm file from Windows Explorer Solid Edge will launch, attempt to open the Creo .asm file, and fail.

Your Solid Edge .asm files did *not* all change to .cfg files.  Solid Edge uses .cfg files along with the .asm file type.  When you installed Creo your existing Solid Edge .asm icons changed to Creo icons, thereby leaving you with the impression that your Solid Edge .asm files were missing and all you were then left with seeing as associated to Solid Edge was the related .cfg files.