Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Caps Lock for Solid Edge

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Couldn't leave the tool unfinished so an improved version of the script attached.

This version allows you to control *all* preferences through a .ini -- in other words you don't need to modify the source code or even have AHK installed to configure the utility.  A true standalone tool Robot wink

Also added custom system tray icons to clearly show the state of the caps and num lock keys.

To use, simply extract the content of the entire folder to a folder on your system, review/modify the preferences in the .ini file, then run the SetLocksForSolidEdge.exe file.  Whenever Solid Edge is the active window, the Caps and/or Num locks will be automatically turned on.

The full source code and any updates can be obtained from my GitHub site.

Edit:  Cannot leave well enough alone.  Updated the code to implement a full traditional install/uninstall routine.  Simply download the attached file, extract the setup.exe and run.  The install will automatically create all the needed files, add a menu to the Start menu, add the program to your startup folder, and add an entry into Add/Remove Programs so you can click uninstall later.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand this. What is driving the need for this? What is wrong with hitting caps-lock on the keyboard when you need it.

Is it for user-less operations and macros or something?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
Highlighted

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

For me it's a few things. 1st - There's no way to know when my cap locks are on, there's no light. 2nd - 99% of cad text is done in cap's. Using CapWiz or any other programs guarantee that caps are on. now when i go to cad and start typing, it's in caps.

For one of my laptops that has no indicator for caps and num lock status I use a simple little program that puts a very small indicator on the taskbar. Or you can have it show an on-screen display which I don't care for. Of course you can set it to run on start-up.

You can get it here:

http://keyboard-leds.com/?version=2.7.1.59

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom

@bshand so with my script I give you a visual "LED" indicator in the taskbar similar to the tool you mention *AND* my script will also automatically set the Caps and Num locks for you whenever you switch windows into to Solid Edge so you never have to worry about incorrectly typing your Solid Edge text in lower case or remembering to press the Caps lock button ever again ;-)

@uk_dave, that's cool. Not sure I find that very compelling personally but I envy your abilities and knowledge. I'm also using that Notepad++ now and it's quite a program. It has become my default text editor.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom

@bshand thanks for the feedback and yeah, I get the script isn't for everyone.

If you are liking the Notepad++ then you might appreciate this further.  Attached is a DOS script that backs up the existing Windows notepad.exe, and then replaces it with a Notepad++ compatible wrapper such that Notepad++ replaces and becomes the default editor in place of Windows notepad.exe.

I use this on all my systems to replace the Windows notepad with Notepad++.-- saves having to dink around with changing multiple file extension associations.

Also, check out all the plug-ins and add-ons available for Notepad++.