CatchBook

Anyone notice this? It surface few minute ago on my radar.

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/labs/catchbook/

Wonder if this will find it way somehow to Solid Edge?

7 REPLIES

Re: CatchBook

I think that this will be a standalone product to be used as a marketing tool to pull customers into the Siemens PLM (I hate to say this word) "ecosystem". 

It is a great example of sketcher constraint solver on steroids. You have shape recognition, parametrics, constraint solving and sync all rolled into a simple tool.

I would love to the the shape drawing and recognition portion pulled into CAD running on the tablets. That would be awesome!

I also feel we are starting to see the break down of the complex tools and bundled CAD packages back into the ala cart mini-licensing strategies, again. The twist this time is that you create or use your mobile device as an input tool and run the hardcore processing in the cloud. Not to mention saving files to cloud and not cluttering the SSD drives on the tablets. 

RyanM wrote:

I would love to the the shape drawing and recognition portion pulled into CAD running on the tablets. That would be awesome!

Doesn't Solid Edge already have this...

Though I just love my 15" CRT color monitor with 3-button scroll mouse.

~Tushar

For me  freesketch is like direct editing versus synchronous

Direct editing is the grand father of synchronous

Freesketch is grand father of Catchbook :-)

[ Edited ]

Imagine if they could add Augmented Reality goggles like gravity sketch http://gravitysketch.com/

When will this be released and what will be the cost?

Tushar,

I would say SE ST7 has free sketch function but it is not at all reliable or accurate in its usage. It is a good start but a far cry from the Catchbook demos. In ST7 on a Surface Pro 3 I can't even get a slot to come even close to the sketched path. Free sketch is difficult to use with a mouse and a bit trickier with a stylus on the touch screen- mainly because you need to rest your hand on the touch screen to get the accuracy you need to draw the shape you want. So far the only geometry that I have gotten ST7 free sketch to reliably do is a square. Secondly, on the touch screen you need to set your view to sketch plane and home that resting your hand on the screen doesn't rotate your view.

Don't get me wrong, I like ST on my SP3..just that FreeSketch is no where close to be usable. It is obvious that idea of Catchbook was pulled from the freesketch functions. I would love to know if this functionality will be back ported to SE and touch screen devices!

[ Edited ]

@RyanMI agree with you word-to-word on the freesketch part except for the SP3 since I don't use one but can imagine what must be happening.

Implementing a feature like freesketch in a mainstream CAD application is quite commendable on part of SE but then that's all about it. Like many other features which are implemented half-heartedly, freesketch too makes an initial good impression then fizzles out.

I tried a simple standard slot at least 23 times before posting my earlier comment and could get the arc only on one side working but never on both sides as seen in the video. The best shape that could be freesketched consistently was the square/rectangle, as you mentioned, and this is no match for the one seen in Catchbook.

~Tushar

Ryan,

Please contact me directly as I'd like to get your feedback regarding FreeSketch functionality.

Thanks

Ronnie Conerly

Solid Edge Product Manager

ronald.conerly@siemens.com

Thanks
Ronnie Conerly
Product Manager, Solid Edge