Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Center Drills

Pioneer
Pioneer

Ok I can't be the only one with this issue and there has to be a better way of modeling centers for machining on my parts. We are currently sketching (revolved cutout) them into our models but I feel like it's something that should be included already in the hole command. Nearly every lathe turned or ground shaft should have centers for machining so why isn't there an option for inserting this into our models? I'm particularly interested in Bell Type centers as that's what we most often use in our facility. I see no great/simple way of adding these. Maybe I'm just blind and it's right in front of me.

Shaft Center.JPGCenter drill dimensions.JPG

Thanks in advance,

JGUN

ST9

17 REPLIES 17

Betreff: Center Drills

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @JGUN 

and what is the problem with saving such a "Counterbore" hole as saved setting.

The only issue here is to use the proper values:

20190506_1631.png20190506_1632.png

IMHO that's all, and it is not the big challenge, isn't it?

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks @hawcad that is kind of the solution I was thinking about. It just seems to me it should be something that would be a presaved setting without the drill thru option. Just pick the # and go without having to do a bunch of custom saves. 

EDIT - I should say I see this an acceptable work around and not necessarily a solution.

Regards

JGUN

@JGUN Just FYI I got it done with the countersink hole type instead of a counterbore. But what's the problem with saving a setting for every center drill size you use?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

@JGUN @bshand @hawcad All the values are there to add them to the Hole Database, but SE will not turn on the option if a value is specified for that option in the DB. For instance you can specify that a hole has a specific depth and a V bottom, but when selected in the Hole form, the values populate for the V angle and the depth, but the options to use a Finite depth or a V Bottom do not turn on.  That makes the Hole DB pretty much useless and requires the Saved Settings be used to add these.  I created an IR regarding the fact that it does not turn on the options if values are specified and will update this thread once it is processed with the approriate number if you want to log against it.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks @KennyG that's exactly what I was running into. I can go thru and save all the custom settings on my computer but I would say 90% of the users in the company aren't proficient enough to set this up themselves. I guess my biggest beef is this information, that is industry standard, isn't pre-populated. The simplest and most common tasks and info shouldn't have to be custom settings. Sorry for the rant. I've been training some new users and I am starting to realize how many work arounds or custom settings I use on a daily basis.

Re: Center Drills

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

As an interim solution, what if you saved each center drill hole in a feature library.  That would eliminate the need to redraw the profile every time.

I agree that having an option in the hole command is best.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

@kjoiner It can be created using the Hole command, it just can't be configured in the Hole DB.  That means @JGUN would have to config the hole in the Hole settings dialog and do a Saved Setting foor that center drill.  Good news is that you can put your Saved Settings on a network share and point other users to it using the "Custom settings file" entry for the File Locations option in SE.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Genius
Genius

Okay I cannot say that SE is not able to generate any kind of hole type.

You can make wathever hole type you want to have in SE but it's proces'd in '80 style (if in Traditional env) 

So that's not the point. But I find the whole hole feature should have a complete redesign.

Why should an engineer in 2019 still have to enter a value for predefined holes like counterbored holes etc...I'm just picking one to make my point. Just make a complete database with predefined settings for bolts from M3 to most used let's say M30 and also for centerbore holes etc....etc....

And why not simply make a hole  by selecting the surface where you want the hole. And let SE decide the X and Y dimensioning scheme.finished ! And if you don't like the way SE does it you can optional select 2 edges to have a reference where you want to have the X and Y dimension reference. Or if there's no other way make a sketch.

If you want more holes you have to use a pattern. Or just place a 2,4 or more pattern of holes at once and have the same func as the hole feature.

Well I say this a long time but this kind of automation should be available from V1Smiley Tongue.

And are very easy to achieve. And gives client satisfaction  a direct boost without having to brake the bank.

But it's always the typical discussion between designer/engineer and a programmer.

It's mostly the lack of experience on both sides. The programmer mostly does not know how an engineer does his work.

That's why we mostly can find solutions to our problems here on this community.Smiley Wink

So to say it in short they still sell "banana versions"

You can find the german explanation here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEzMLdOBdAA

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge ST6 user !!!!

HI @JGUN 

as in the meantime already said by @KennyG  too, You can have the custom.xml file centrlized at the server to allow all users access to that settings.

So if You create those center drill once and save them in You company custom.xml everybody can and will use these in the future.

Nevertheless, an enhancement of the hole Db and hole functionaltiy would be appreciated.

This not only means in regard of center drills but also of non circular hole, like hexagon etc.

To have such geometry placeable like holes too, is an issue I often have heard as request.

How often it would be used is written in a different chapter.

regards
Wolfgang