Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: Center Drills

Legend
Legend

While folks are giving their input on how the hole database could be updated to be more useful:

For folks like us that have punch machines, with specific sized tooling for different material thickness, along with obrounds available from our tooling library. It's silly to have to always have a list of available tools in front of you when designing something new with holes or obrounds needed..........

The SE design crew could make lots of friends if they put some time into updating the hole database, and make it more user friendly.

Re: Center Drills

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Xedu Dirk, you should upgrade!  SE updated the Hole command in ST7 which added the functionality you speak of that allows you to pick the fastener size, whether it is tap or clearance hole, and the fit class.  The data is contained in an excel based database.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Genius
Genius

Hi ken,

Thank you for making me aware of this. And yes I do remember it now when I did some work with ST10 a month ago for a client.

they are still on maintenance with SE. That's why I can follow how things evolve at SE.

I don't think I will upgrade my license of SE any soon but you never know. Because there's not much work here for SE users around here.

Most used around here is Pro/e and Inventor lately and also quite a few of SW users. But Inventor is becoming the biggest one soon. I believe that in belgium there are not many clients using SE.

Frankly said SE is almost unknown around here. Mostly if you say SOLID most of them complete with WORKS.

Hate to say it and you know I'm a big fan of SE but I think Siemens PLM is not able to sell SE here anymore, they are more focused to NX also I believe. Because it's not so easy to sell a midrange CADsoftware that nobody uses around here.

And the heritage of Autodesk AutoCAD is unbeatable around here. And most of them just switch to Inventor without asking many questions I think. Just sad really.But what do you do about it. In Holland and Germany and a few other country's in europe Siemens PLM is succesfull in selling SE

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge ST6 user !!!!

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi @Xedu ,

In synchronous technology, when putting a hole, all you have to do is to select the command, and after that, block the plane where you want to put the hole. And even better, if you you to an edge and you type "E", it will do a dimension from that edge.

I don't know if in ST6 is avaliable.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Joanpolo 

Hi @Xedu 

@Joanpolo  schrieb:

Hi @Xedu ,

I don't know if in ST6 is avaliable.

... Yes it is!

And what I like on sync holes even more is the capability to place holes on different planes of the part, and they belong to the same hole feature - ergo the are equal and they can be used for assembly pattern.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Yes in sync env, And no in traditional env !

Is everyone working in Synchronous these days, that's good news! Smiley Surprisedif so ?

And thank you guys for being supportive all the way - even while I'm working with an older version of SE

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge ST6 user !!!!

Phenom
Phenom

@Xedu wrote:

Okay I cannot say that SE is not able to generate any kind of hole type.

You can make wathever hole type you want to have in SE but it's proces'd in '80 style (if in Traditional env) 

So that's not the point. But I find the whole hole feature should have a complete redesign.

Why should an engineer in 2019 still have to enter a value for predefined holes like counterbored holes etc...I'm just picking one to make my point. Just make a complete database with predefined settings for bolts from M3 to most used let's say M30 and also for centerbore holes etc....etc....

And why not simply make a hole  by selecting the surface where you want the hole. And let SE decide the X and Y dimensioning scheme.finished ! And if you don't like the way SE does it you can optional select 2 edges to have a reference where you want to have the X and Y dimension reference. Or if there's no other way make a sketch.

If you want more holes you have to use a pattern. Or just place a 2,4 or more pattern of holes at once and have the same func as the hole feature.

Well I say this a long time but this kind of automation should be available from V1Smiley Tongue.

And are very easy to achieve. And gives client satisfaction  a direct boost without having to brake the bank.

But it's always the typical discussion between designer/engineer and a programmer.

It's mostly the lack of experience on both sides. The programmer mostly does not know how an engineer does his work.

That's why we mostly can find solutions to our problems here on this community.Smiley Wink

So to say it in short they still sell "banana versions"

You can find the german explanation here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEzMLdOBdAA

@Xedu  - I feel you are missing a few things. Please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Regarding making a complete database - it isn't possible - there are just too many and someone will always want a different setting. The current settings and hole database are adequate for the majority of users. You require centre drills - we don't. We require holes for rivets, clinch studs etc - others don't. We do, however, have our own hole spreadsheet for those settings.

If you upgrade to a newer version you will get more of that functionality.

When placing holes in sync mode all you do is select the face, and as Hawcad says, you can place holes on different faces and they will remain as part of the same hole group. You can break them out into their own group if required.

For multiple holes in ordered you don't have to use a pattern. Simply place more than one in your hole sketch. That's what we do if the hole count is say less than 10, or its an irregular pattern.When selecting the plane you can orient it to almost any position using n,b & f on the keyboard. If that isn't sufficient to get where you want you can define the plane by axis, edge etc. And you don't have to have the view orient to the plane selected Options > General > Orient the window to the selected plane > un-tick.

Hope this helps.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Genius
Genius

I want to thank everyone for his contribution about placing holes in ST.

Yeah it's definitely a way to consider.

And yes it's easier to do than in traditional, but I prefer this in traditional.

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge ST6 user !!!!