Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Center of buoyancy

Creator
Creator

Hello,

Could somebody please explain how could I find center of buoyancy in Solid Edge?

I have ROV hull design and I need to determine center of buoyancy for whole assembly.

I have attached a few pictures of my design. This hull will be flooded and all electronics are in separate housings that will be sealed. Later on I will aslo add some syntactic foam to achieve neutral buoyancy.

Regards,

Margus

3 REPLIES

Betreff: Center of buoyancy

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Margus

I hope I have understood it correctly and further more I think right what the physical backround concerns.

But, the center of buoyancy must be the center of volume of the complete asm volume.

So You have to send all parts into one single part, You have to delete all internal holes and from that volume YOu will need the center of volume.

Is this right?

And excatly those steps need to be gone by You.

With ST10 You have those functions provided in part directly when importing an ASM into it.

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank You for Your prompt reply!

So I`m guessing that what I want is located under "Inspect" tab and "Physical properties"?

I think You mean that deleting internal holes applies only to sealed enclosures? Because Solid Edge calculates volume from actual material used and does not know that there is air inside.

But how do I make Solid edge take into account that there is some air trapped inside those enclosures? This will affect buoyancy.

I guess I have to fill this empty enclosure with material, calculate volume and then subtract the volume of actual part (that is hollow) from that. Then subtract total volume of all electronics inside that enclosure.

This should give me volume of air that is inside. Should I then I add a body with that volume inside the enclosure and give it density of air?

Regards,

Margus

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Margus

sorry, Yes You are totally right.

I completely have forgotten the air inside the boat.

And Yes I think You have to create air parts for correctly analyzing that.

I only thought about the volume center of the water You are dislodging.

But this not only will influence the buoyancy

regards
Wolfgang