Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centralize a hole in a slot.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a slot that was not created by the slot feature, but rather a cut out.

How can i mate those two together. 

is there a way to get a temporary axis showing in the slot so i can use that to mate with the hole.

Regards,

MagRiz
(ST9 User Est 01.18)
16 REPLIES

Betreff: Centralize a hole in a slot.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MagRiz

if the slot is not slot but a cutout then You will not have the slot path and therefore You can not use it for path relation or axial alignment

YOu can create a sketch there and us this one

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

thanks but the slot was created using a sketch, can i not use that to mate?

or show some sort of temporary axis.

i tried to use show/ hide to show sketches but they are not visible

Regards,

MagRiz
(ST9 User Est 01.18)

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello,

You should be able to show the sketch for the slot and use it.  If you want to be able to "slide" the hole in the slot, you can create a line in the middle of the slot and use the connect constraint.  If you want to just center the hole in the slot,  add a circle to the sketch for the slot and use it.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Before using the slot command, we frequently made slots with the normal cutout command, and the symmetric offset command.  This didn't leave a separate sketch to be shown in the assembly.  So, we would add a construction surface in the slot that could be shown, and then used for assembly relationships.

SlotCenter-oldschool.PNGHTH,

Jason

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

See image attached, I’ve turned on sketches but I can’t see them.

Regards,

MagRiz
(ST9 User Est 01.18)

PLM World Member Legend
You said that the cutout was based on a sketch, but is there a separate sketch feature in your pathfinder? If not, you won't be able to show it in the assembly. If you look at the pathfinder in the picture I posted, you will see that there is a tab, a normal cutout, and an extrusion. There is a profile for the slot, but it is within the normal cutout feature. You could create a sketch on top of the cutout, or add a construction surface like we used to.

Jason

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

See image attached

I don’t think I have a separate sketch. The sketch I was referring to is actually the profile. So im assuming that profile can’t be used.

Regards,

MagRiz
(ST9 User Est 01.18)

Genius
Genius

a couple options you can do

1. If you are looking to add a relationship to grab only the center point of the slot.  Temp axis at the center point basically. you can go in and do another cut.  Cut a small circle that is only a few .002 of an inch beyond the outer edge of the slot.   This will then give you an axis to align to.  I have done that for square cut outs when installing carriage bolts.

2.  in the part file where the cutout is in you can sketch a slot path.  Then in the assembly turn on that sketch and apply the Path relationship to it.

Cory M
Solid Edge ST10
ST10 Cert

PLM World Member Legend
AFAIK that is correct. As I said, your options at this point are to put a sketch on top of the cutout, or add a construction surface. Of course, you could replace the cutout with a slot...

Jason