Centre of mass as a reference point

Hello to All,

Just wondering is there any option to take the measurement from Centre (center) of Mass Point to another point ? 

Thank you,

Arek

9 REPLIES

Re: Centre of mass as a reference point

[ Edited ]

Hi @leec7

I am able to first create a coordinate system at the center of mass and then use the Keypoints option in the Measure command for measurements from the coord-sys to other elements in the model.

2016051701.jpg

If you find this useful, please mark the post as solution, though I would also like to know more efficient and smarter ways to achieve this.

~Tushar

[ Edited ]

If you turn on the display of the center of mass symbol on the physical properties dialog, you should be able to locate that point in Measure Distance when the locate element type is set to keypoints. I don't think you need to create the extra coordinate system.

physical properties.png

Greg

[ Edited ]

That is definitely efficient, except I get this weird message:

Am I missing something obvious here:

2016051702.jpg

I am still in a learning mode. Thanks.

~Tushar

When using the Measure command I see that too. However, if you use the Measure Distance command instead, then it works as expected. I'm not certain, but it looks like it is unable to find the minimum distance between the points when using Measure. You may want to log it so the team that did Measure can either fix it if it is a problem or explain why it is not supposed to work.

Greg

[ Edited ]

Great! so basically it works, though with a rider and without the need for an extra coord-sys - the last part was important. Good workaround Greg.

Hi, You first have to change the measured elements to "points" and then the point method to all points. Then You also can use the center of mass for measurements

20160517_1401.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Even doing that, I am still seeing the same message that Tushar is seeing.

[ Edited ]

Perfect!

Working for me.

That's the most efficient and smart way of measuring I was looking for this case.

Thank you Wolfgang.

Greg:

Here's a closeup view of the Command bar.

If I don't set the option #1 in image below, then the message appears and measurement cannot be done.

2016051703.jpg

~Tushar

Ahhh. That was the piece I was missing as well. Setting that option allowed it to work for me as well.

Greg