Solved! Go to solution

Chamfer on double(?) curved surface/line

[ Edited ]

Dear Members,

I m asking your help in the following matter.

I would like to make a chamfer on the selected edge (see 1st image). This plate is 5 mm thick. The chamfer should be 60 degree and 4 mm setback, so the bottom edge of the cutout should be 1mm thick all around.

But anyhow I try to make the chamfer I am unable to accomplish, see the 2nd figure. You can see that the bottom edge(surface?) is made with a variable width., not a constant 1mm.

This plate is a strengthening to a flange.

What should I do? How should I do?

Any help is appreciated because I m stuck with this.

Without chamfer.jpgWith chamfer.jpg

17 REPLIES

Re: Chamfer on double(?) curved surface/line

Maybe a swept cut? Could you attach the part file?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I have attached the file, I also tried the swept cut, but without succes.

I'd bet that @Imics or some other guru will come through. Fridays are slow around here so maybe not until next week.

Bruce Shand
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author magiclevinho
‎03-03-2017 02:45 PM

[ Edited ]

Hi @magiclevinho try this solution.

(view in My Videos)

Regards.

Just curious - what do you imagine the end result to be?

Looking at it, I do not think you'll find a real solution where it acts exactly like a 60° chamfer you'd find on a flat part. Because you've cut normal to the surface of your curved part, your 5mm thickness is variable along the path. You'll need to define your 1mm height and let the cut height "float" above the top surface of the part.

There might also be an issue maintaining a 60 degree chamfer - it has been a while since I have played with curvelinear surface geometry - so I can't remember if you can maintain a 60 degree cut at every normal plane to your path or if that angle has to float as the path "rises and lowers" to where your cut plane is.

You're in some nasty geometry territory - have fun!

Yep - you can't use a vertical line normal to the cut... it would leave remanents inside the sweep. That makes absolute sense.

Thank You very much! I will make like this!

@Kanwulf, Nice! Seems like the offset and intersection are not necessary though. It can be done with a plain old sketch on a base reference plane.

Bruce Shand

Hi,

I know, I was late for the party. Smiley Very Happy @Kanwulf's solution is perfect. I don't know who knows that Blend provides chamfer option for similar cases... Just a suggestion, no more!

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/