Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Offset Dimension of Sketched Spline?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Does anyone know how to change the offset dimension of a sketched spline in ST10? I'd like to create a dimension for the offset that I can use as a variable.

offset_spline.jpg

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP5
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
8 REPLIES

Re: Change Offset Dimension of Sketched Spline?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you want to use the variable as a "source" then you could just create a dimension. If you want to drive the offset then it looks like you're out of luck.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@bshand

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I want to be able to drive the offset dimension.

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP5
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

@David_McMahon, better minds might still chime in with a simple solution or workaround. I'm talking about you, Hawcad, Imics, Sean, Tushar, and many others.

Bruce Shand

Hi @David_McMahon,

There is obviously an issue with the actual controlling math "in the sketcher" when using offset, on this type of geometry....however, the solver in the surfacing tools is much more robust in this sense.

So in your example, I would extrude a surface from your internal curve, then use offset surface command [use this value in your variable], this can then used to project your curve out to, or seeing as the curves are planar, I used intersection curve command.  [file attached]

Not knowing how you want to use this downstream, I could only take a stab at it based on what I read & saw.....I hope my interpretation of your needs helps in some way.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

@SeanCresswell, I guessed it might involve surfaces. Question: why does it break if I enter a value greater than 0.50?

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand,

TBH, I never tried that. Good catch Bruce......but, my "guess" is, that there is self intersecting aspect to the geometry, that causes the failure.

I'll take another look at it when I get out of my meeting I'm about to head into.

Sean Cresswell

So looking deeper into this, with respect to the issue @bshand spotted, it does indeed look like the core geometry develops a crease as it is offset beyond a certain distance......clearly visible in the secondary distance [see attached image below]

2018-03-13.png

I think, if the needed offset reaches beyond that distance.....I'm all out of tricks for you @David_McMahon.

Hopefully another community member can come up with another way to beat this. Seems a good case to submit to GTAC for an enhancement request though.

Sean Cresswell

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the feedback. I am actually trying use the goal seek function on a 2D sketch so I really need to access the offset dimension. I will submit a ticket to GTAC to see if this is intended functionality or a bug.

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP5
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10