Change flange radius.

Hello,

So I made a bent part in Synchronous modeling where i put the flange radius to 2mm since I had 2mm plate from the beginnning, However the thickness is now going to be 3mm so the bend radius should also be changed but how can I do this? There a a bunch of holes in the flange so I would like to avoid just removing the flange and make a new one.

7 REPLIES

Re: Change flange radius.

You can edit this (and much more) via the variable table.

Tab "Tools"

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

@GustavK, If you change the thickness to 3mm via the material table and gage properties the bend radius should change with thickness.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

The last post is right on target. Almost all I do is sheet metal. The gage table is a good tool. The one thing about the table that presents a learning curve is what all the angle are doing and what do they represent.

I ended up using a single bend radius for all bend angle for each sheet thickness/material.

I played with using K=0.29 past 165 deg and K=0.33 for all other cases, but hems are still a different animal. Just use K=0.33 can call it done.

Attached is my gage table. There are so many entries, this slows down my sheet metal work.

Worst yet, it takes forever to open the menu where the gage is changed. This is about the only downside to the gage table. Only being agle to open this from each part's file also makes changed the gage of an entire model slow.

Some models, I remove the gage reference to speed things up. However in one recent case where I did this, the gage listing no longer shows up in the Parts list. So I heave learned to only turn off the gage table association with parts that already have a drawing and don't change.

If you remove the gage reference, it can be turned back on again.

Notes about gage table:

In general, up to 12Ga I use R=0.11, for thicker I use R=0.25. In my case those number are only good if the part is 4' or longer in the machine. The smaller parts come out with a smaller R in reality. Because the R is a variable and a guess, I have considered using odd ball R to achieve less digits in the the difference between the back gage and the finished leg.

Bend radius is a very important number that is specific to the tool(s) you use, and the materials you use. Grain direction, spring back, any many other factors come into play.

We also work predominantly in sheet metal though we do gauges slightly different to @12GAGE 

We just save the thicknesses together with the associated bend radius and netural factor (just left at 0.33) directly into the material file rather than a separte Excel. It a bit less complex which is fine for what we're doing and a lot quicker and simpler.

You can do this just through the material table dialog.

@Alex_H, yes, that is what I meant in my post as well.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Does it interpolate between angle values? Say I bent a 3mm plate to 40°, does it use the gauge table numbers to estimate what the neutral factor is, or does it just refer to the default?

Shane Murray
ST8 MP6

[ Edited ]

That's what the various entries of the gage table are for. For each grouping (line listing in table) of angles, you can specify the K factor.

The typical assumption is all bends use K = 0.33 (1/3 is in compression, 2/3 in tension)

Commonly accepted as one step better is to use k=0.33 until you pass a 165 deg bend (like a hem, then k=0.29 is considered a better approximation for most tools. Very small change in the pig picture.

past that, one has to get very specific about the tool (Break, folder, panel bender, etc...) to get more accurate.

In my case (A folder), the reality is that each bend closer to a spiral than a constant radius but I use a constant radius to approximate the result. The inconsistencies of grain direction and thickness start to effect the results more than the assumption for K as they affect the flat patterns.

The other thing one needs to consider w/ sheet metal is spring back, specially with stainless (up to 7 deg spring back). That is the responsibility of the machine operator to know how much overbend to apply, but the design must allow for the overbending to happen. Sometimes this required extra modeling steps.